Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Ultra 5 RAM Upgrade Issue

Default Sun Ultra 5 RAM Upgrade Issue

So I have a Sun Ultra 5 that has 256MB of RAM in it and I got an identical set of 128MB DIMMs to push it up to 512MB. Only to find that the opening header still says 256MB. Swapped the DIMM pairs and it still says the same, so they all work, just not together it seems. I have OpenBoot 3.25 on it and would like to upgrade since I think that might be the problem? Not sure, but I can't find any newer copies of the PROM online yet. Unless someone here has one, I'd appreciate a copy.

Suggestions?
    Collector of all things Digital, but mostly VAXes and corporate knick-knacks (books, mugs, etc).
    VAXes: VAX 4000-100A, VAXstation 3100-30, VAXserver 3100, VAXstation 4000 VLC
    Randoms: DECpc LPv+, Rainbow 100B, DECbridge 90, DECserver 300

2. Default

Suppose you've already found http://sparcher.blogspot.com/2011/08...ra-10-ram.html, just search for the filename "106121-18.zip": there are still some FTP-servers with OBP version 3.31 ... using a local TFTP-server makes updating more convenient ...

Yup managed to find that and an FTP server with that zip on it. Now just a matter of upgrading.

However, and I just tried this today, my Ultra 5 won't do anything if I only install DIMMs in Bank 0(sockets 1 and 2) and leave Bank 1(sockets 3 and 4) totally empty. Now i'm wondering if bank 0 is dead...

Looks like I need to get a DB25 serial cable and use TIP to get a definitive answer.
    Collector of all things Digital, but mostly VAXes and corporate knick-knacks (books, mugs, etc).

Updated OpenBoot, no change.

While in the process of updating it, I managed to get more output from the initial post and the banks are shown as just being straight up empty with no errors. SunVTS passes. Something is wack...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DECtechGuy View Post
    While in the process of updating it, I managed to get more output from the initial post and the banks are shown as just being straight up empty with no errors.
    Can you provide some details of the memory modules? It may be imagination, but sometimes reset-all seems to help ...

reset-all didn't help, unfortunately.

As for the modules, when I bought them I had just searched for the same part number that I saw on the RAM that came with the Ultra 5, which were 128MB, 50ns, EDO, ECC ram. So I've got dimms that are completely identical, even with the same Micron labels.

These dimms all work, since i've swapped them in and out of the bank that works.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DECtechGuy View Post
    So I've got dimms that are completely identical, even with the same Micron labels.
    Just to be sure: these are all 8K refresh modules?

Had to look up the datasheet, but yes 8k refresh.

9. Default

4 x KMM372F1680CK-5 from Samsung here, low profile to save the unused floppy drive ... I vaguely remember some issues with Micron ...

There was something in the documentation I have about using Micron's with a certain openboot versions and high MHz processors, but that should have been fixed with the newer version. Probably will try out that variant of ram and see where I end up.