Image Map Image Map

Thread: Serial to PS/2 connector for PS/2 mouse MSDOS

Default Serial to PS/2 connector for PS/2 mouse MSDOS

Hi,
    I'm having some problems trying to detect my PS/2 mouse which is connected on COM1 via a COM to PS/2 adaptor. Has anyone got one of these working on MSDOS? If So Which driver did you use? I've tried quiet a few drivers but its not detected. A normal serial mouse works fine on COM1.

Regards,
    Not all those who wander are lost. - J. R. R. Tolkien

Blog Entries

Which mouse are you using? I have used mice that supported PS/2 to serial port adapter but the mouse needs to have built-in support for both protocols. Some PS/2 mice won't work with the adapter; USB mice with a PS/2 adapter tend not to work with a second adapter for serial port. Logitech and MS mice from the early 90s are most likely to work with an adapter.

thanks for the reply. It's a Logitech mouse yes. Do you remember any exact models that work? Maybe I'll have to hunt one down?

Blog Entries

The one I have near me is an IBM ActiveScroll mouse (Model MOSZW) with a copyright on the box of 2000. It comes with a PS/2 to serial adapter in the box.

https://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/microsoft/dovebar.shtml shows some of the Microsoft mice that worked with the adapter. I think that all the PS/2 dove bar mice would work with a serial port but there were the mice with Inport bus connectors and I don't know what model numbers indicate which.

I think the Logitech Mouseman (basically Logitech rounded white counterpart to the MS Dovebar) shipped with a serial to PS/2 adapter, at least for some models. The PC Magazine article of Jan 11, 1994 confirms that.
    Last edited by krebizfan; November 26th, 2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Copied a bit too much text

ok thanks.. I managed to do a work around with my hardware. I have a spare Blackbox personal serv for the screen, keyboard na mouse. It has a serial port on it so I've removed the serial to PS/2 adaptor and used a serial cable direct to the blackbox. IT wor