Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tandy 2000 FDC chip question

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Those drives are not for vanilla pc's. We plugged one into my friends 1000tx in oh 1987 and it wouldn't boot. There's a dd variant that was installed in the Leading Edge Model M / Sperry HT PC. Can't speak to that.
    Darn.

Yeah.. that's what I was afraid of. You almost need a second, working 2K as a test bed. Another option as I understand it is I can use a 720k 3.5 drive with these. Maybe do an image of the 2000 boot disk to a 720k 3.5 disk and then try that knowing ive eliminated the drive and disk.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Those drives are not for vanilla pc's. We plugged one into my friends 1000tx in oh 1987 and it wouldn't boot.
    The 2000's drives are double-density 80-track, same as a 720k 3.5" drive, so they at least theoretically could work in a PC if properly configured. When your friend tried this in 1987 did you first plug the drive in as drive B: and create an 80-track boot disk? The TX's BIOS isn't going to automatically double-step to boot from a 40 track "conventional" PC disk if you fitted it with the 2000's drives.

So far as I'm aware electrically at least they should be swappable into a Tandy 1000 or other computer that uses Shugart drive select jumpering directly and work as a B-drive at least. (IE, you should be able to format a disk and otherwise verify its basic functionality.) Getting one to work in a normal PC that uses a twisted cable should also be possible, but there may be some wrinkles.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

If it would work in a pc, I would think someone would have determined this by now. But what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Darn.

Yeah.. that's what I was afraid of. You almost need a second, working 2K as a test bed. Another option as I understand it is I can use a 720k 3.5 drive with these. Maybe do an image of the 2000 boot disk to a 720k 3.5 disk and then try that knowing ive eliminated the drive and disk.
    Yes this is known to work. Personally I've never written a 5 1/4" image to a 3 1/2" disk, but I can't imagine it takes a phd to figure out.

Has anyone ever tried a Gotek in a 2k?

Blog Entries

Howso? IMD can do it with very little finagling.

And there we have it. Our resident phd declares imd capable with a minimum of fenaglement.

Blog Entries

IMD always seems to need much finaglement from me. It is *very* particular about which hardware it runs on. Now I just gotta remember which one worked last time..

Blog Entries

Do you need a step-by-step on how to take a Tandy 2000 5.25" floppy to a 3.5" DSDD? I've got a 2K sample in my collection, so I'm willing run through the process. You need a PC capable of running IMD, with a 1.2M 5.25' drive and either a 1.44M or 720K 3.5" drive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Do you need a step-by-step on how to take a Tandy 2000 5.25" floppy to a 3.5" DSDD? I've got a 2K sample in my collection, so I'm willing run through the process. You need a PC capable of running IMD, with a 1.2M 5.25' drive and either a 1.44M or 720K 3.5" drive.
    If you're willing to provide that I would be grateful. First trick though is remembering which of my PCs works with IMD. Ive tried two now that are Pentium and P2 class with no luck. Gotta keep digging.

IMD = Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk? I never had any problems running that on anything. Maybe because everything I've tried it on was generic.

I have imaged t2k disks with Winimage. Around 2003-4. In fact Win2k server would read them off in a 1.2meg drive.