Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TeleCOMPAQ: Phoning it in

Question TeleCOMPAQ: Phoning it in

"The Telecompaq reportedly targets managers in medium- to large-size corporations who are not presently computer users and combines an IBM Personal Computer-compatible micro with a host of voice/data communications functions." --Computerworld 4/1/1985

So, I've snagged a TeleCOMPAQ! It's non-working, but knowing the symptoms the seller mentioned and the shortcomings of early COMPAQ hardware, I'm currently suspecting expired tantalums and/or the PSU. Time'll tell whether or not that's the case since it hasn't shipped yet, but in the meanwhile I have some questions Firstly, can I substitute any regular phone for the Dyad phone that'd come with the machine (pictured)? My machine doesn't include one. I suspect that may depend on what sort of phone connection the individual machine may be configured for...

Also, how just how uncommon are these nowadays? They don't seem like something one comes across every day, plus it sounds like few made it into the wild due to a tepid reception and the machine being exclusively sold via telephone companies. I didn't even know they existed until a friend mentioned the one I got to me, and there's plain not a lot on them on the web. Anyone else here have or had one of these? Does anyone have service material I can consult?

Lastly, anyone have any neat anecdotes or personal history related to the machines?
    General Failure Reading Drive C -
    Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Why am I just now learning about the existence of this?! That thing is super cool! I’d say they are quite rare, as I am very into Compaq stuff and have never seen or heard of one.

I must find one of these for my collection at some point. Very nifty form factor it has. I love the way the keyboard can snap onto the front and be out of the way. I think that would actually make a really nice little DOS machine for myself.

Can’t wait to see some more pics! Hopefully you can get it running as well.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Blog Entries

Hey Al, I see the CHM has the complete kit including the phone in their inventory. Would you be able to get us some more detailed photographs of the phone?

That system looks REALLY awesome. I'm curious to see how all those extra buttons are interfacing with the system.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

When I first arrived at Compaq in '88, the office admins had them. They never seemed to use them for much more than a telephone+electronic rolodex. IIRC, they got heavier duty machines for things like Microsoft Word. Never used one myself, but I think it was one of Compaq's early (maybe only?) missteps.

First couple years at Siemens I saw a couple of them around (though they never made it to the scrap sales). I'd probably have passed on them even if they had. Systempro's however, were a highly sought-after item. Always got out-bid on those.

I've never even heard of this. We need photos!

Ser. no. 5747114B5447 made it home!

It's actually just a hair smaller than I was expecting. That Portable-like upper half lead me to think it was gonna be sized more like the Portable I! I haven't even so much as attempted a smoke test yet, the holiday season's on at the post office I work at so the day's left me worn out and I'm concerned about the prospect of a improperly parked MFM drive mulching the data before I can get to it.
    Last edited by MrArgent; November 28th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.
    Abort, Retry, Ignore?

What an incredible machine. Definitely get some pics when you crack it open! Would love to see the inside of it. Your unit may not have a hard drive in it, as I don’t see an LED on the faceplate down there. It looks more like a blank, but who knows.

Either way, great find!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Still gotta investigate, but so far as I know HDDless configurations had three floppy drives per Computer 4/1/1985. With this machine's obscure nature, though, it IS possible there'd be a one-drive configuration...which'd just provide enough storage to boot DOS and the resident software. If that's the case, that could be troublesome as this machine didn't come with any diskettes.
    Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Got a Google Drive doc up where I'll be sharing my notes and findings! Among other things, we have a hard drive...and it's a MiniScribe.
    Abort, Retry, Ignore?