Image Map Image Map

Thread: Macintosh LC III and a Macintosh SE Score

Default Macintosh LC III and a Macintosh SE Score

Hey everyone,

Hope you're all keeping busy with your various computer projects. I have an electronics recycling bin at work that is open 24 hours a day with a drop off slot. Usually I get the typical stuff: old printers, pentium 4 desktops, etc.

Yesterday I went to open the bin and see if anyone dropped items off. I wasn't expecting much since everyone was busy with Thanksgiving. Imagine my surprise when I peeked through the slot and found a Macintosh SE with keyboard and mouse as well as a Macintosh LC III with keyboard, mouse, and color monitor. There was also a K6 machine in there. I didn't have room in my truck yesterday (working through a big pile of 22" monitors), but I will definitely be bringing it home to test and see if it works. I'll post an update this evening on what I find.

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

You'll definitely want to open the Mac SE and remove the PRAM battery and hope it hasn't leaked everywhere, same with the LC III. Unfortunately for the SE though, it requires removing the back shell, which requires a really long and narrow diameter torx driver.

The LC III will likely need to be recapped since it has the terrible 90s SMD capacitors that leak. If you look at the motherboard and you see wet spots around the base of the capacitors, it needs to be recapped. The power supply also has capacitors that tend to leak everywhere and both will cause damage to the logic board and power supply board.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    You'll definitely want to open the Mac SE and remove the PRAM battery and hope it hasn't leaked everywhere, same with the LC III. Unfortunately for the SE though, it requires removing the back shell, which requires a really long and narrow diameter torx driver.

The LC III will likely need to be recapped since it has the terrible 90s SMD capacitors that leak. If you look at the motherboard and you see wet spots around the base of the capacitors, it needs to be recapped. The power supply also has capacitors that tend to leak everywhere and both will cause damage to the logic board and power supply board.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I popped the LC III open and there were no signs of any oxidation/leakage. It was a very clean unit, no dust or anything. I got it set up and powered on and it boots to macOS just fine! Within a few minutes I was messing around on it. The SE unit was a different story. I was able to get it turned on and the screen is fine (no weird pixels), but it did have a floppy disk icon with a ? in the middle of it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pop the unit open for more inspection (left my narrow screw driver down at the warehouse), but I'm expecting the same thing since they both came from the same environment.

In other news after 3 years of looking in the basement (we have a lot of boxes of stuff) I finally found where I put my old Mac LC so I'll be getting that one set up and running today.

Very surprised the capacitors haven't leaked. I'd still recommend changing them as a matter of preservation. They will leak eventually and it's better to change them before they start. The PSU capacitors are harder to see if they're leaking because they usually pool up gunk directly under the capacitor where you can't see it.

As for the SE unit, it may not have a hard drive, or the hard drive could be dead. Since it has two floppy drives, there's a good chance it never had one, but you won't know until you get it open. If there is a hard drive and it isn't spinning, you can flip it on its side and give it a good whack on a desk to free up the heads. If the spindle is stuck, you can do the whack and try running it upside down.