Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchase from Ebay Seller Vintage Computer Museum

Default Purchase from Ebay Seller Vintage Computer Museum

Hi All,

Just wanted to let the forum know I made a purchase from the Ebay seller vintage computer museum. I know that a number of folks here don't think much of them, but I needed a replacement mainboard for my Eagle computer and they were the only game in town.

Unfortunately, the board was DOA, but the part that is really frustrating is that is was not packed with antistatic protocols, it was stuffed in an oversized manila envelope and wrapped in standard bubble warp and then on top of that it was in a non-rigid shipping container. It may have been working prior to shipping but there is no telling if it suffered static damage or damage in transit from not being properly protected.

My point is that one would think since all they sell is vintage computers and parts that one wouldn't need to ensure that they would utilize proper packing for what they sell. So like me if you need something they are selling you might want to remind them of proper packing protocols for delicate, vintage, static sensitive systems and components.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by owensct View Post
    Hi All,

Just wanted to let the forum know I made a purchase from the Ebay seller vintage computer museum. I know that a number of folks here don't think much of them, but I needed a replacement mainboard for my Eagle computer and they were the only game in town.

Unfortunately, the board was DOA
    So, they continue to live up to their reputation.

Blog Entries

My point is that one would think since all they sell is vintage computers and parts that one wouldn't need to ensure that they would utilize proper packing for what they sell. So like me if you need something they are selling you might want to remind them of proper packing protocols for delicate, vintage, static sensitive systems and components.
    Correction. They buy other ebay listings and resell vintage computers with a high markup and they don't give a damn about what you tell them.
    Dude's a sleazebag. IF you have to business with him get in and get out and leave it to ebay to rip him apart for a refund if you can prove it was poorly packed. Trying to claim on static damage alone is pointless because it would of been an AS-IS sale.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I only skimmed the op. I personally do not think it somehow a requirement to put something inside an antistatic bag, as a for instance. I just don't have these types of materials lying around. Someone may not share your interests and knowledge of these items. I think it's unrealistic to expect special treatment for vintage or electronics in general. The people on ebay oftentimes are just individuals looking to make a buck. I personally go to lengths to describe an item accurately, pack extremely well (even in the absence of antistatic material). And there's the question and answer mechanism, which, to my utter astonishment is used so infrequently it's shocking. People have this grampa will take care of me attitude fostered by ePay I guess which gives them a safety net in case something goes wrong in their estimation. So they don't worry about anything, grampa will take care of them. But admittedly I've never had anyone want to return ANYTHING I've sold on ebay, hundreds of items. So maybe people are just lax with their money and don't care much if it isn't what they expect?

But I for one don't make excuse when something is packed poorly. It absolutely burns me when someone throws something in a box, dumps peanuts on top of it, and tapes it up. You damned little loser! Go the extra mile, try to pack it well and ensure it'll get their safe. I can't stand it. And I was a 19-20 year old shipping clerk for an electronics outfit way back, and endeavored to pack stuff real well. So none of these brats have any excuse.

Blog Entries

Nothing like asking top dollar for broken crap that gets shipped in sub optimum packaging.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Tipc,

I understand your point, The antistatic protocols don't concern me as much as the fact that it wasn't in any kind of rigid box, it was just an oversized envelope, not even Kevlar. Like something Grandmas would ship junior a Christmas sweater in, in fact it even looks like Christmas wrapping. The manila envelope was torn and the board was exposed. Your right I "shouldn't" assume that they will pack electronics properly, I made the mistake of "assuming" that since all they do is sell vintage computers and they do have good feedback rating that they would have an idea of how to properly pack something like a mainboard, my bad.

NeXT, that is what I've heard, but I am trying to get this beast up and running and my skills at board level repairs are minimal at best so I took a chance, a big one that the board would be viable. It wasn't cheap either, if he had been selling it for $15 As-Is then I would have accepted it as such, but I am out over a C-Note on the board and that I can't afford to just eat. If Ebay hadn't had that popup that your purchase is protected I would have never bought it at that price point. The auction stated that Ebay guarantees my purchase so we will se if they do so. All his auctions are As-Is, but in doing some research the belief that Ebay supports the concept of As-Is is incorrect, Ebay does not allow As-Is regardless of what the seller states. If you want to sell something As-Is no returns then the recommendation is you sell it as not working for parts or repair. The Commercial Code of Conduct states, (at least that is what I read) is that when a seller sells something as used the buyer has a reasonable expectation that said item will be functional.

Gordon

Somewhere there's a "How Not to Pack an Altair" thread I'd created about a parts-unit Altair 8800B Turnkey I ended up ordering from vintagecomputermuseum. Basically, in the corner of a large Lowes moving-type cardboard box, the rest of the space filled with peanuts. It survived, which is a testament to the package carrier they'd used (I forget which service delivered it).

Every now and then, you can get a decent deal out of vintagecomputermuseum, but often it's kinda poorly packed, given (as you noted) that they only really sell vintage computers and ought to, by now, have figured out how to pack them. If nothing else, a few refunds over wrecked items due to inadequate packaging would usually set someone straight...

Glitch,

Well I suspect I will see what he says in the next day or so. If he refuses I may have to go through Ebay and he will probably blacklist me as a buyer, but at the price point he sells most of his stuff that wouldn't be a big deal to me. He has a working Eagle IIe, but he wants a grand for it plus shipping. It's not worth even close to that. He's had it listed for over a year with no takers, I once offered him $ 500 for it, still more than it's worth, but he shot me down, didn't even counter. I really want a working one, I used to install them and train the end users for a dealer back in the the day, but I was a just married guy in his twenties just getting my IT career off the ground and couldn't afford to do anything, but drool over them, lol.

Gordon

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Don't assume anyone but USPS will treat it fairly. That's my advice.

You got to use antistactic bags (unless its a bare PCB with no components). I ordered a power supply board for a late 90's laptop. The seller sent it wrapped in newspaper, not only that the platic film with adhesive used to keept things from shorting out was loose due to old glue and the adhesive was covered in dirst and debris, and lastly it REAKED of cigarette smoke. I opened a claim and got my money back. I mean do the bare minimun, wipe it down and use an antistatic bag.. if he had done those I might have just accepted it.