Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: headless microVAX?

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    That's what "headless" means. I assumed you understood that since you had it in the topic. Headless -> no monitor and keyboard. Instead you have serial port.
    Funny, I've never considered a tower server configuration "headless". There was never any head to begin with. I appreciate there might be confusion between the MicroVAX and a VAXStation, but, pedantically, MicroVAXes aren't "headless" per se, as it's not really an option. May as well say "MicroVAX. Not Green color." Just a nitty non-sequitor.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Zurich, CH
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whartung View Post
    Funny, I've never considered a tower server configuration "headless". There was never any head to begin with. I appreciate there might be confusion between the MicroVAX and a VAXStation, but, pedantically, MicroVAXes aren't "headless" per se, as it's not really an option. May as well say "MicroVAX. Not Green color." Just a nitty non-sequitor.
    The fact that a MicroVAX supposedly never have a "head", and thus always, and implicitly are headless don't mean they are any less headless.
    The term headless stands on its own. If something is headless, it means it has no head. The fact that something never was capable of having a head don't mean that the statement "it don't have a head" is any less valid. However, it can be considered a piece of information that don't actually add any information.

    It's more like saying there is no red in a green color. It is true, but you already knew that if it was a green color. Not really non-sequitor, but it's really just adding words with no additional value.

    But with all that said, you can both turn a MicroVAX into a VAXstation (just add the graphics card), or you can also just add some other graphic subsystem, while still having the console on the serial port. At some point, you'd stop saying that it is headless, but you might still say it's a MicroVAX...

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio/USA
    Posts
    8,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I think having to use a terminal makes the MicroVax more interesting.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    2,564
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    The fact that a MicroVAX supposedly never have a "head", and thus always, and implicitly are headless don't mean they are any less headless.
    The term headless stands on its own. If something is headless, it means it has no head. The fact that something never was capable of having a head don't mean that the statement "it don't have a head" is any less valid. However, it can be considered a piece of information that don't actually add any information.

    It's more like saying there is no red in a green color. It is true, but you already knew that if it was a green color. Not really non-sequitor, but it's really just adding words with no additional value.

    But with all that said, you can both turn a MicroVAX into a VAXstation (just add the graphics card), or you can also just add some other graphic subsystem, while still having the console on the serial port. At some point, you'd stop saying that it is headless, but you might still say it's a MicroVAX...
    You can only add a graphics card to the Q-Bus models. The later unit units such as the 3100 and 4000 are very different, and don't have an expansion bus, so you can't just add the frame buffer.
    Thats why you must make sure you get the right manuals. For example a VaxStation 3100 model 30 is very different to a Microvax3100 Model 30. Different CPU. Different Memory expansion Cards.. Different external sockets.
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    2,564
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I think having to use a terminal makes the MicroVax more interesting.
    Odd how we all get enjoyment of our systems in different ways. I found it fascinating to see OpenVMS running DEC Windows on my VaxStation VLC. It really makes a nice usable system..
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Odd how we all get enjoyment of our systems in different ways. I found it fascinating to see OpenVMS running DEC Windows on my VaxStation VLC. It really makes a nice usable system..
    As you say, all different. In the early-mid 80s I managed a cluster of 780/782/785 VAXs (I hate the term vaxen!) and feel much more at home with an ascii terminal. In fact as Iím a bit short of real terminals Iíve just breadboarded one of the old Geoffís ASCII Terminals to get another one for my home cluster. Actual DEC terminals seem a bit short on the ground just now.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio/USA
    Posts
    8,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I used a VT525 with mine, a DEC keyboard, and a 14" Sony CRT.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    The fact that a MicroVAX supposedly never have a "head", and thus always, and implicitly are headless don't mean they are any less headless.
    The term headless stands on its own. If something is headless, it means it has no head. The fact that something never was capable of having a head don't mean that the statement "it don't have a head" is any less valid. However, it can be considered a piece of information that don't actually add any information.
    The executioner's argument was, that you couldn't cut off a head unless there was a body to cut it off from: that he had never had to do such a thing before, and he wasnít going to begin at his time of life.

    The King's argument was, that anything that had a head could be beheaded, and that you weren't to talk nonsense.

    The Queen's argument was, that if something wasnít done about it in less than no time she'd have everybody executed, all round. (It was this last remark that had made the whole party look so grave and anxious.)
    - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Zurich, CH
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    You can only add a graphics card to the Q-Bus models. The later unit units such as the 3100 and 4000 are very different, and don't have an expansion bus, so you can't just add the frame buffer.
    Thats why you must make sure you get the right manuals. For example a VaxStation 3100 model 30 is very different to a Microvax3100 Model 30. Different CPU. Different Memory expansion Cards.. Different external sockets.
    Of course it is more complicated than that.
    My 4000/90 can use a keyboard and monitor. But I can also flip a switch, and then use a terminal on the serial port as the console. So I can switch between a VaxStation and a MicroVAX by just flipping a switch on that one.
    And of course, the graphics card can be removed or replaced as well, even though it's not a Qbus system. And there were several options for graphics systems available.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sefton, Meresyside, England
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    Of course it is more complicated than that.
    My 4000/90 can use a keyboard and monitor. But I can also flip a switch, and then use a terminal on the serial port as the console. So I can switch between a VaxStation and a MicroVAX by just flipping a switch on that one.
    And of course, the graphics card can be removed or replaced as well, even though it's not a Qbus system. And there were several options for graphics systems available.

    I have a 4000 model 90 also. I've been using it running OVMS with a VT520 and I did have a little attempt at getting it running DECWindows with a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Hardware is all setup and tested but I need to figure out how to get DecWindows going. I've had to shift it out of the dining room so will need to set it up again and continue with it.
    Last edited by PG31; December 5th, 2020 at 01:19 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •