Image Map Image Map

Thread: PS/2 65SX throwing out Error 000000 FFFE 201

Default PS/2 65SX throwing out Error 000000 FFFE 201

As the title states, I have an IBM PS/2 8565 (Model 65SX) that is currently giving me error 000000 FFFE 201 at power on. The system is currently "barebones" in that it only has the power supply, system board (which has on-board video), 2x4Mb SIMMs and the diskette drive installed. I'm not entirely sure what this error code stand for in terms of PS/2 systems, and I haven't been able to find much about it in my searches. Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated!

That looks like the 201 error format that IBM used in the 5162, 5170, and some PS/2's. See the '201' entry at [here].

Assuming that it applies to the 65SX, then the 000000 and FFFE that you are seeing is what I would expect the 65SX to show if it was fully functional, and you removed the RAM on the motherboard.

Correct SIMM type being used ?

Faulty SIMM in the connector that corresponds to bank 0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    That looks like the 201 error format that IBM used in the 5162, 5170, and some PS/2's. See the '201' entry at [here].

Assuming that it applies to the 65SX, then the 000000 and FFFE that you are seeing is what I would expect the 65SX to show if it was fully functional, and you removed the RAM on the motherboard.

Correct SIMM type being used ?

Faulty SIMM in the connector that corresponds to bank 0 ?
    Yes, the correct SIMMs are installed (IBM 1x2Mb, 100NS). Unfortunately, I don't have any spare SIMMs that are compatible with this system, so I can't swap them out and check if this one is faulty. Guess I'll have to track some down.

Quote Originally Posted by ButINeededThatName View Post
    Yes, the correct SIMMs are installed (IBM 1x2Mb, 100NS).
    strange, having never owned a 65sx I didn't realize it used such strange memory. I have 85ns, 80ns, and 70ns 72pin IBM PS/2 simms but 100ns is odball.

have you tried cleaning the ram modules gold contacts with rubbing alcohol ? and possibly the ram sockets on the system planar board?

As the title states, I have an IBM PS/2 8565 (Model 65SX) that is currently giving me error 000000 FFFE 201 at power on. The system is currently "barebones" in that it only has the power supply, system board (which has on-board video), 2x4Mb SIMMs and the diskette drive installed. I'm not entirely sure what this error code stand for in terms of PS/2 systems, and I haven't been able to find much about it in my searches. Any help in sorting this out would be appreciated!

System Board 16MHz (8565) 92F0800
    2MB Memory Kit (for 92F0800) 92F0104
    4MB Memory Kit (for 92F0800) 92F3337

http://www.walshcomptech.com/ohlandl...ce.htm#92F0104

2MB 85nS?

92F3337 4MB 80nS?

If there is any further interest/need in diagnosing this, I plan to cover it in a video. Nickolai is correct - 100nS RAM sounds too slow. Louis was also helpful in providing the FRU P/Ns of what runs on the system.
    Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner

Quote Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
    If there is any further interest/need in diagnosing this, I plan to cover it in a video.
    Now up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxeeVx403ho
    Disclaimer: The username IBMMuseum and domain IBMMuseum.com are not affiliated with IBM in any manner