Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .ASM 8080 file for 8k BASIC where to find ?

Default .ASM 8080 file for 8k BASIC where to find ?

Now I have my Bytesaver working, I want to program its ROMs with 8K BASIC.

My Bytesaver is sitting in an address window of 6000h to 7FFFh where I have some additional address decoders windowing out that part of the 48k memory I'm running in my SOL-20.

(My understanding of how to get this to work is that I will have to assemble BASIC in CP/M org'd at 6000h. Then I would convert the .HEX file to .BIN files, and then I can manually edit that into 8 blocks to program the 8 ROMs on the Bytesaver)

Does anybody know where I can find 8K BASIC as an 8080 .ASM ?

The source code file (in PDF) for the IMSAI 8K BASIC is available here on Rich Cini's web site:

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/my_imsai.htm

Good luck!

smp

This V20 project, https://hackaday.io/project/170924-v...ebrew-computer, enables CP/M to run on the 8080 mode of the V20. I downloaded the ZIP file, SD-S260320-R230520-v3.ZIP, and it seems it contains the ASM source you are looking for.

Edit: the ASM can also be found at the bottom of Rich Cini's web site, marked Code.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Thanks smp & Ruud for those leads.

Looking at the revisions, it looks like the 8k BASIC was modified to run under CP/M, or would it likely run outside (independently) of CP/M too ?

Also, it was modified to Tarbell Save & Load, I would guess that might need to be modified to use the Sol's Tape system ?

Hugo.

I have attached the .ASM program that looks the most promising, just the first few pages which I converted to pdf for posting.

To get the program to run at 6000h, any suggestions on how to change the org directives would help me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You may have to move part of the code down into 0x0000, at least with Microsoft BASIC and relatives, there's stuff down at 0x0000 that has to be there since the code uses RST0 - RST7 vector reset instructions to call some of the routines down there. Pulling that out would be a real job.

The source on Rich Cini's site has conditionals for operation under CP/M, I believe there's a set of DEFINEs near the top that determine if you're building for CP/M or not. I believe there were also notes to the effect of, "everything after this can be ROMed."

Tiny BASIC would probably be easier to modify, since it's not a Microsoft derivative IIRC it doesn't depend on stuff at 0x0000.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    You may have to move part of the code down into 0x0000, at least with Microsoft BASIC and relatives, there's stuff down at 0x0000 that has to be there since the code uses RST0 - RST7 vector reset instructions to call some of the routines down there. Pulling that out would be a real job.

The source on Rich Cini's site has conditionals for operation under CP/M, I believe there's a set of DEFINEs near the top that determine if you're building for CP/M or not. I believe there were also notes to the effect of, "everything after this can be ROMed."

Tiny BASIC would probably be easier to modify, since it's not a Microsoft derivative IIRC it doesn't depend on stuff at 0x0000.
    Yes, it looks tricky (for me anyway). So far the 4k version I can find is in Z80 code, not 8080, I will keep looking.

There's an 8080 version of MITS 4K BASIC out there, but again it's a MITS derivative. I believe MITS did provide instructions for ROMing some of their BASICs though.

Blog Entries

Processor Tech (was it 5K?) BASIC should still be out there somewhere. I remember keying in the thing through my Altair's front panel..several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Processor Tech (was it 5K?) BASIC should still be out there somewhere. I remember keying in the thing through my Altair's front panel..several times.
    Yes, that is a good suggestion. I have seen it on tape and they also made an extended BASIC, but have never seen it as a .ASM print out which I would need to move it to higher memory. It was probably starting at 0100h I would guess, I could always load it to the SOL and see what part of the memory it has used up. I think most of the BASIC's require working RAM to be immediately above where they are loaded.

..hmm now it has got me thinking that if I loaded the processor technology 5k BASIC to the SOL from tape, extracted the binary file, it might be possible for somebody to disassemble that into a .ASM and and I could then reassemble it at the higher address. But it might be difficult if there is any confusion in the relative addresses.
    Last edited by Hugo Holden; December 29th, 2020 at 03:31 PM.