Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26 Pin Floppy Drives

Default 26 Pin Floppy Drives

Picked up a couple of 3.5" FDD drives, and didn't notice until later they have 26 pins instead of the usual 34. Read some posts here in the forum about adapting a 26 pin cable to a standard 34 pin drive, and even see some ready made adapters online.

Has anyone ever tried the opposite?

Also, what native systems were these created for? I'm seeing older Toshiba/Sony laptops. Anything else?

Considering the number of 26-to-34 adapter postings, are these drives unicorns?
    “The Bex religious impulse does have its collective side. As in, collect everything and hold on to it whether you remember where it came from or not.”
    —Alberto Fossa, Privateer 2

Blog Entries

IIRC, the original Sony 0A-D30 3.5" drive used a 26-pin interface. I seem to recall that it didn't exactly match up with later 26-pin 3.5" floppies.

Yeah these look more modern like a 34-pin drive, so guessing they're the later models.
    IMG_2478.JPGIMG_2479.JPGIMG_2480.JPG
    “The Bex religious impulse does have its collective side. As in, collect everything and hold on to it whether you remember where it came from or not.”
    —Alberto Fossa, Privateer 2

Blog Entries

I also believe that the 1/6th height drives e.g. Teac FD05 all use a 26 pin connection and used in laptops and notebooks all over the place. Also part of the Teac FD-505 "Combo" drive, which is pretty much a combination of an FD-05 and an FD-105.

Quote Originally Posted by normanator View Post
    Also, what native systems were these created for? I'm seeing older Toshiba/Sony laptops. Anything else?
    Lots of older Compaq's used the 26-pin FDD

My Austin and AMS laptops use the same thing, but only Citizen W1D floppy drives are accepted.

I also looked into 26 pin drives recently, as I thought it would be neat to use two of them in the space that a standard 1/2 height 5.25 inch drive uses. The adapters all seem to go the wrong way .. I want to use the 26 pin drive on a 34 pin system.

My Tektronix TDS360 scope has a 26-pin slim 3.5" drive; I have an HxC Slim to put in it, just haven't done so yet.

I have a couple of combo 5.25/3.5" drives where the 3.5 has a 26-pin flat cable connection to the interface board on the 5.25 drive. I think one was in a Compaq DeskPro 386. Not original equipment, more than likely.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Blog Entries

I've got one such drive in an SD card+USB hub 5.25" insert that uses a 26 flex to 34 pin header. You might look for one of those.

My Amstrad 5286HD has a 26-pin 3.5" floppy drive; it's a slim Citizen U1DA-38A. It's a desktop, not a laptop, but definitely much smaller than most desktops of the era.