Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mac SE Boot issue

Default Mac SE Boot issue

I have a rescued Mac SE that has been having boot issues: "The following application is busy or damaged: Finder." The only option I have is to restart and this goes in an endless cycle. Someone suggested a boot disk for 6.0.8, tried the boot disk and still the same issue. Is this a timing issue of starting from a cold start with the boot disk in? Or are the drives not spinning up due to age? If so, then what do you all suggest? FloppyEMU or SCSI2SD? Thanks for the help!

If two different system installs are behaving the same, I'd say there's a fault with the machine. You may have bad RAM, which is an unfortunately common problem on these old machines.

There's really no good way to test memory on older Macintosh machines. I would get a PC motherboard with 30 pin memory slots and use it to test the memory in the Mac using an older version of Memtest.

First, memory is most likely not the issue here. Every single Mac - even the original one from 1984 - does a RAM check at start and shows a Sad Mac when the RAM is faulty. While memory could be damaged in a way that the test would not find, it's rather unlikely.

I'm not fully sure if I understand your error report correctly: is there a hard disk installed and you also tried a boot disk instead getting the same error? In that case, it may not like the boot disk and kept starting from hard disk, giving you the same error. Do you have a 880k or HD floppy drive installed?

If there is no hard disk installed, the floppy drive may need cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Timo W. View Post
    First, memory is most likely not the issue here. Every single Mac - even the original one from 1984 - does a RAM check at start and shows a Sad Mac when the RAM is faulty. While memory could be damaged in a way that the test would not find, it's rather unlikely.
    The memory test that Macs do is very basic, bad memory can easily get past it, especially at higher address ranges. I have had plenty of problems with bad memory on Macs not being found by the Mac itself and causing all sorts of headaches.

It's quite possible that the SE might have motherboard damage due to a leaking battery. I wouldn't leave that out of the troubleshooting. The motherboard will have to be pulled to check the memory, and if applicable, see if the R35/R36 resistors have been clipped.

ABit BE6-II 1.0 | PIII 500 | 384MB PC100 | GeForce 2 MX400 64MB
    MSI MS-5169 v4.0 | K6-2 450AFX | 256MB PC133 | Matrox Millenium G450 32MB
    ASUS P5A-B | K6-2 300AFR | 256MB PC133 | ATI Rage 128 Pro 32MB
    MLE SIS 471 Rev:B | Am5x86-P75 @ 100 MHz | 32MB FPM | WD 90C33-ZZ
    Macintosh Plus (Restoring)

The odd thing is that it did boot when I first brought it home. I know that the 6.0.8 boot disk is an 800K floppy and that there is a hard disk installed - most likely original. I haven't taken it apart yet, still waiting for my T15 to come in the mail to do some further investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by soxfanmn View Post
    The odd thing is that it did boot when I first brought it home. I know that the 6.0.8 boot disk is an 800K floppy and that there is a hard disk installed - most likely original. I haven't taken it apart yet, still waiting for my T15 to come in the mail to do some further investigation.
    If you have a Walmart near you, they have a Hypertough 44 piece precision bit set with an extender that works great on compact macs, and it's cheap.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...913A/664156679

It has a T15 torx bit and the shank on the extender and handle is thin and long enough to reach down inside the handle to get the screws out.

You may have bad RAM, which is an unfortunately common problem on these old machines.

Ordered a floppy emu and it got booted!