Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WD Black 6TB HD

Blog Entries

Thumbs up WD Black 6TB HD

Newegg has Western Digital Black 6TB hard drives on sale today for $169. This one is good for gamers and the reviews are positive. I bought one as my main gamer's storage is very crowded and my old 2TB cradle mounted HD and portable Sony USB 4TB just don't cut the mustard. I also have a 8TB attached to the home entertainment system bit that's dedicated to movie storage.

https://www.newegg.com/black-wd6003f...234-000G-000W5
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

What's the track record for reliability on these drives?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    What's the track record for reliability on these drives?
    This, the black, is a good one and comes with a 5 year warranty. The deal with any of these is that when you first get it and it spins up without bearing noise and squeaks, you're most likely to be good to go. I like the 256MB cache and at 7200 RPM as it makes it ideal for gaming. I would not go with Seagate as their reliability is down considerably.

Blog Entries

Newegg has the Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s CMR 3.5" Internal HDD for RAID Network Attached Storage ST8000VN0022 for $184.99 shipped. 3 year warrenty.

Gamers want NVME these days don't they? I seen a 2TB model for 197.99 shipped from Newegg.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

That's what I put in my gaming machine (2TB NVME). Also has a 1TB drive to hold movies as I rip them to send to my NAS for use with Plex.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Newegg has the Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s CMR 3.5" Internal HDD for RAID Network Attached Storage ST8000VN0022 for $184.99 shipped. 3 year warrenty.

Gamers want NVME these days don't they? I seen a 2TB model for 197.99 shipped from Newegg.
    Seagate has had a bad performance record lately and this series is an attempt to make up for the past (read Tom's). I'll go with 6TB for $169 and it's fast enough. Any game that I have which absolutely craves more speed I can always slide it down to my 1TB Samsung 980. I like the 5 year warranty.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; January 8th, 2021 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    ...Gamers want NVME these days don't they? I seen a 2TB model for 197.99 shipped from Newegg.

I've gone hilt deep on the NVME. Even going so far as to get a nvme raid card and 4x 2tb drives.

I can say, with relative certainty, it makes a MASSIVE difference. Not so much in the loading time department*, but if your game ever touches the hard drive during play, nvme responds instantly. spinning rust tends to cause micro stuttering.

*- games & apps that have been designed to work on ssd/nvme have massive gains over programs that don't. Case in point, Cyberpunk 2077. Looking at only loading times, I load into the world in 6-8 seconds, and I have zero loading stutters in game. This includes fast travel. It's literally a 3-4 second wait between fast travels.

Previous to nvme, I was using 4x 640gb WD black drives. they have damn near 100,000 hours on them and still work fine. They were fast, but going from those drives to nvme was beyond comparison.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

Bob is correct about the NVME speed and I have the same. However, here's the thing; I have 13 games in particular (there's more - lots more) that take up over 500GB of my big gamer's Samsung 1TB 980. That along with my other personal files just about eats up my 1TB. Some of the games can remain on the 980 such as Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher, and a few others, but the rest are going the 6TB route. No one is standing over my shoulder with a stop watch, and I could care less about loading speed as my 3700X & RTX 2070 more than pick up the slack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luckybob View Post
    I've gone hilt deep on the NVME. Even going so far as to get a nvme raid card and 4x 2tb drives.

I can say, with relative certainty, it makes a MASSIVE difference. Not so much in the loading time department*, but if your game ever touches the hard drive during play, nvme responds instantly. spinning rust tends to cause micro stuttering.

*- games & apps that have been designed to work on ssd/nvme have massive gains over programs that don't. Case in point, Cyberpunk 2077. Looking at only loading times, I load into the world in 6-8 seconds, and I have zero loading stutters in game. This includes fast travel. It's literally a 3-4 second wait between fast travels.

Previous to nvme, I was using 4x 640gb WD black drives. they have damn near 100,000 hours on them and still work fine. They were fast, but going from those drives to nvme was beyond comparison.
    That's all well and good but this thread is about storage not speed. When a 6TB NVME shows up at a reasonable price I'll probably opt for it.

and I'm saying, you can have both, granted at much greater cost, but I wanted to convey the cost was worth it. At least to me. The cost of the drives fall more each year, and I might have gotten aboard the nvme train a bit early, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

For the record, I spent my upgrade budget on that nvme setup, because I couldn't get a video card. And i'll be damned to pay more than msrp.

I also mentioned having old WD black drives. and upgrading from a quartet of those drives. I had hoped to illustrate, at least anecdotally, wd black drives were quality drives.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.