Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Look what I won for 99 cents plus S/H. :D

Default Look what I won for 99 cents plus S/H. :D

Tandy Laptop.

I never won anything so cheap before and, most surpisingly, without a "fight" from some other bidder.

Wow, thats pretty cool. Bummer no AC adapter though, hopefully its not hard to find.

Ac Adaptor? The picture looks like there's a power cord coming from the unit. (I wonder why they guy put in ontop of his VCR?)

Oh well.... If it doesn't come with an AC adaptor...
    Last edited by facattack; July 10th, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

The Q&A at the bottom said there wasn't one. Looks like the pic was in a garage or something. *shrugs* that could be the cord for the VCR or it.

When I look at the closed listing, I get a list of "Similar Items from all eBay sellers" and the top one is a "Tandy 2820HD 3800HD 3810HD 3820HD New AC Power Adapter" for 18.95 and 10.95 S/H.

Below is the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget

So, you get the computer for 2 bucks and have to fork out 30 buck for the adaptor and you don't even know if the computer works or not at this stage.
    Last edited by Druid6900; July 10th, 2007 at 08:04 PM.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Blog Entries

Actually, after buying four or five of them, I've given up on ever trying to find a working unit on eBay. (I had one once, which I used to run Coherent OS on, but sold it several years ago). Seems they all suffer from the same design flaw: the battery is located directly above the mainboard, and subject to severe leakage with age. The leakage drips down and takes out everything below it. I have an adaptor for a 1500, but IIRC, the 2800 & 3800 use a different adaptor than the 1500 (which also suffers from poor battery placement).

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

I already own my quota of 1100FD, 1110HD, 1400LT, 1500. As Terry points out, I had to buy at least 2 1110s to get a working one, even then I had to find a replacement hard drive. I looked at that listing but I was leary of the seller.

Okay... I'll just put it in my pile of "nice to look at but doesn't work" stuff... Typical the guy would be selling his laptop seperate from the power cord. Just my luck. But atleast I didn't go through a bidding war to get a defective unit. (Or maybe this one would work?)

I believe it is getting common to split items. Just last week, someone had cleaned out his attic and found a loose Commodore 128 and a pair of Amiga 500's, all sold separately without power supplies. Then once those auctions had ended, he found the matching power supplies, and initiated new auctions for those. Sad smiley or not, you decide.
    Anders Carlsson