Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with fixing Commodore 2040 Dual Floppy drive

Default Help with fixing Commodore 2040 Dual Floppy drive

Hello Commodore Gurus.

A few months ago, I bought a broken CBM 8032 and the 2040 dual floppy unit. Dave_m, Daver2 and Jannie helped me with getting the 8032 working (Big Thanks).

Today, for the first time, I was able to plug in the 2040. It may have already been upgraded with the new firmware because it has a sticker on the side which says "UPDATED TO 2.0"
    If so, then does this make it equivalent to a 4040?

It has some life in it. When I switch on the drive (Pet already ON), both the red LEDs switch on for less than a second, both drives spin up for about 5 seconds and there is a knocking sound which I'm guessing is one or both heads moving.

I then put a floppy in drive 0 and type: load "*", 8 I get an immediate response of ?File not found error. However, this did not cause any activity on the drive.

Any ideas.
    Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Hello Commodore Gurus.

A few months ago, I bought a broken CBM 8032 and the 2040 dual floppy unit. Dave_m, Daver2 and Jannie helped me with getting the 8032 working (Big Thanks).

Today, for the first time, I was able to plug in the 2040. It may have already been upgraded with the new firmware because it has a sticker on the side which says "UPDATED TO 2.0"
    If so, then does this make it equivalent to a 4040?
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    It has some life in it. When I switch on the drive (Pet already ON), both the red LEDs switch on for less than a second, both drives spin up for about 5 seconds and there is a knocking sound which I'm guessing is one or both heads moving.

I then put a floppy in drive 0 and type: load "*", 8 I get an immediate response of ?File not found error. However, this did not cause any activity on the drive.

Any ideas.
    Thanks
    Mike
    usually you first power up the drive(s), then the PET, at least this is what we were always told to do in the old days.
    However, the power on of the drive sounds correct, both heads should seek to track 0.
    Try to use another device number (9-10-11 for example) before concluding the drive has issues. However, you should also first confirm that the IEEE port on the drive is indeed working. I don't know if you have other devices to confirm the IEEE is working.

Frank

There is another very recent thread on the forum where we did exactly this and tested the IEEE port in isolation from anything else.

The other thing to check is that you have the IEEE cable in the right way round... Some cables do not have a polarising pin in the PET connector and I believe you can accidentally connect them the wrong way round (or upside down)...

Do the disk drive LEDs flash at all?

Dave

In addition to making sure the cable is not connected upside down, make sure it's plugged into the right port.
    If the connector key is missing, it will also plug into the user port, which is the middle port, closer to the cassette port.
    You want it plugged into the IEEE port which is the port closest to the power switch, with the Commodore name or logo on the connector facing UP.

If the drive is on and you power cycle the PET, the drive should reset when the computer turns on.

Normally a 2040 doesn't seek track 0 at power on but waits for you to send an initialize command, so it does look like it's been upgraded to DOS 2.0 and is equivalent to a 4040.

Under Basic 4.0, You can shortcut the load "$", 8 by just typing "directory" or "diR"
    DIRECTORY Dx on Uy
    where X is the disk number (0 or 1) and Y is the device number (8 or 9)
    So "diR d1" will give you a directory of disk 1 on device 8
    "diR d0 on u9" will give you a directory from disk 0 on device 9

On a 2040 that hasn't been upgraded, you need to send an initialize command to tell the drive that you have inserted a disk. Might be worth a try on this one just in case.
    open 1,8,15
    print #1,"i0" (or "i1") to initialize the drive.
    This just tells the drive to move to track 0 and then to cache the BAM into RAM.

As always, make sure the heads are clean. Old disks can clog up a clean head quickly.
    Last edited by Hutch; January 18th, 2021 at 09:19 AM.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the great feedback.

The IEEE cable is keyed and I have in correctly oriented in the correct port.

When the drive unit is switched on and I then power on the PET, the drives do their boot up sequence (brief flash on both red LEDs, head knocking sound for a couple of seconds, followed by both drives spinning for about 5 seconds). So there is some communication between PET and the 2040.

I then inserted a diskette into drive 0 and typed: diR d0
    There was no activity from the 2040 and the PET simply responded with a "ready."

I tried the following with the same result:
    diR d0 on u8
    diR d0 on u9
    diR d0 on u10
    diR d0 on u11
    diR d1 on u8
    diR d1 on u9
    diR d1 on u10
    diR d1 on u11

I tried print #1, "i0"
    This resulted in a syntax error.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other functioning IEEE devices to test with.

Forget the drive for now - and concentrate on the PET IEEE port.

As I stated back in post #3, we have already gone through a process of hand-testing a PET IEEE port using a bit of BASIC software and some wires.

There should be a fairly recent Commodore PET thread with this in it somewhere. I can't just remember who the OP of the thread was. I will have a look later - or dave_m might remember (since he did most of the hard brain work on it).

Let's make sure the PET IEEE port works first - and then move on from there.

EDIT: Found it posted by Jannie in the Commodore thread "Faulty 8032-SK with no V-Sync - Gary". Have a read of this thread first and then we can pick-up with any questions you may have.

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; January 18th, 2021 at 12:04 PM.

yes, it was the jannie thread and the IEEE stuff starts about message #90.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...no-V-Sync-Gary

Before I'd do anything i would check disk status with a Print ds$ command and see what happens.

EDIT: The first IEEE tests were from there SkyCaptain thread at message #136
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...on-help-needed
    Last edited by dave_m; January 18th, 2021 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added first IEEE tests

Agree with Dave

First let's confirm the IEEE works and then ....initialize and format a single sided single density floppy afterwards. From a number of boards I have restored a failure of the IEEE 6520 and MC3446's are common.

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Forget the drive for now - and concentrate on the PET IEEE port.

As I stated back in post #3, we have already gone through a process of hand-testing a PET IEEE port using a bit of BASIC software and some wires.

There should be a fairly recent Commodor e PET thread with this in it somewhere. I can't just remember who the OP of the thread was. I will have a look later - or dave_m might remember (since he did most of the hard brain work on it).

Let's make sure the PET IEEE port works first - and then move on from there.

EDIT: Found it posted by Jannie in the Commodore thread "Faulty 8032-SK with no V-Sync - Gary". Have a read of this thread first and then we can pick-up with any questions you may have.

Dave
    Last edited by AndyG; January 18th, 2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added IEEE 6520

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    First let's confirm the IEEE works and then ....initialize and format a single sided single density floppy afterwards. From a number of boards I have restored a failure of the MC3446's has been common
    Yes, it is important to start with a newly formatted floppy. With BASIC 4 look up the Header Command.

Hi Guys,

My "SD2PET Future" arrived from The TFW8b, unfortunately, if behaved exactly the same as the 2040 drive, so I think you guys are right that I probably have a faulty IEEE port.

I looked at the posts referenced above and I saw that if I poke a value into 59426, I should be able to peek into 59424 and see the same value. I tried this with values of 255 and 0. Both worked correctly.

I tried looking at the book "PET and the IEEE 488 Bus (GPIB)", however, there was a lot that I did not follow. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Mike