Image Map Image Map

Thread: Color Mini Disk Service Manual Info Needed

Default Color Mini Disk Service Manual Info Needed

Acquired the model 26-3022 from an eBay seller and quickly found why it was "parts only": A mouse had established residence at one point and in addition to importing paper and foam bits and using the floor for a lavatory had chewed signal wires and their insulation. A few other problems are visible; some of the electrolytics appear to have leaked, for example, but the real problem is I have no documentation for this drive.

I can find docs for the earlier 16-xxxx drives that were used with the Model I but there are jumpers and wires and test points on this thing that I don't recognize, as well as a drive with a different latch, a different drive belt (looks like yellow cellophane) and a few other features that are recognizable from a functional point of view but different in placement and / or form.

As always, any insight appreciated.

-CH-

pics; IMG_3849_v1.jpg IMG_3854_v1.jpg

I guess now is as good as time as any to tell you something.

There are some parts that are on their way to you. I had some parts that were a special case and I remembered you handle special parts.

From what I can tell a snake got inside 4D steel mother board cage using expansion port. I have reasons to suspect a small black snake.

We can talk about it later. After reading this post I thought now might be as good as time as any to tell you.

Boone

Quote Originally Posted by danielbooneamerica View Post
    I guess now is as good as time as any to tell you something.

There are some parts that are on their way to you. I had some parts that were a special case and I remembered you handle special parts.

From what I can tell a snake got inside 4D steel mother board cage using expansion port. I have reasons to suspect a small black snake.

We can talk about it later. After reading this post I thought now might be as good as time as any to tell you.

Boone
    ?! PM me... Thanks!

-CH-

On further investigation: The main control board had two 47uf 16V electrolytic caps one of which clearly had failed; I replaced both. There are three inputs to the board, power, head signal and a combination connector that carries all other signals. One wire in this harness was chewed through and another stripped of its insulation. In order to perform a proper repair I will need to remove and replace the pins from the connector. I'm pretty sure replacements are available but I don't know how to specify them. Can anyone ID these?

As you can see from the attached picture this is not a Tandon-style drive: It has a different T0 switch and a different positioning stepper, for example, as well as a different latch mechanism. Does anyone recognize the manufacture?

Thanks for your suggestions.

-CH-

2021-01-21_08-09-10.jpg 2021-01-21_08-42-57.jpg

Drive is a Tokyo Electric Company ("TEC") Model FB 201; an interesting design with which I was unfamiliar.

I fixed the power plug and verified output from the PSU 5 & 12 VDC. I managed to get the little pins out of the connector so I could fix the wiring: I soldered an extension to the broken wire and slipped shrink-tube over both repair candidates. I cleaned everything including the RW head and verified that the spindle and spindle drive motor were both free. I had to free the head carriage, which was stuck, but it now moves freely.

I have reassembled the drive and now am ready to test it in situ First I need to find out what the jumpers (A|B) at MX signify, whether what I think is the termination pack is actually the termination pack and whether I need it for use with my Model III.

Still looking for docs.

-CH-

2021-01-21_12-13-11.jpg 2021-01-21_12-34-38.jpg