Image Map Image Map

Thread: Old task switching TSR

Default Old task switching TSR

I vaguely recall using a TSR long before Windows that was a simple ASCII time-slicer - when switching to another app the others went in to a wait - it wasn't a multi-tasking utility and was very small. I believe is was pre DESQview but looked very similar and wasn't one of these (http://www.owl.homeip.net/manuals/sy...tr/cat-011.htm) I think it pre-dated all of those as a simple utility and was not a commercial product or part of one. In fact, it might have been called simply SWITCH.EXE (and nothing else) - maybe. Does anyone remember a TSR like that?

Regards,
    Mike

For what version of DOS? The DOS Shell included in 5.0 comes with that feature built-in. You just have to enable it once.

This was way back in DOS 3.2 time frame. I am certain it wasn't a DOS utility. The screen UI had non-overlapping frames (looked a little like DESQview style) - one app in each window but not multi-tasking.

Mike

Blog Entries

Seemed like there were dozens of them based on the advertising in the mid-80s. Any ideas as to limits or support programs that help improve compatibility with it.

Blog Entries

Wasn't Bolands' SideKick the overall champ early on?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Sidekick is a pop-up TSR, not a task-switching program that lets you switch between two arbitrary programs.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)