Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best lightweight word processor for MS-DOS 3.3?

Blog Entries

My only issue with qedit is that IIRC it has no "undo" function, which is a dealbreaker for me. It's also not a word processor, but a text editor (but based on the OP's last response, maybe all they were looking for was indeed a text editor).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    My only issue with qedit is that IIRC it has no "undo" function, which is a dealbreaker for me. It's also not a word processor, but a text editor (but based on the OP's last response, maybe all they were looking for was indeed a text editor).
    As you said QEdit isn't exactly a word processor but it seems to work great for quick write-ups. By far my favorite feature in QEdit is the ability to save your files in .DOC format so you can read them in programs like Microsoft Word and OpenOffice without the need to export anything.

That being said, since QEdit is a text editor rather than a true word processor I'd like to give some of the other programs a try. Thinking about trying WordStar 4 or 5 next.
    Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
    IBM PS/2 Model P70, Compaq Contura 3/25, Any Toshiba Libretto laptop from the Libretto 50CT up to the 110CT, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

Send a PM if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!

I rather like PCWord by Andrew Sprott/Talisoft - all of 240K (120k executable) and pretty well featured. It's my go-to word processor for systems with limited memory and early DOS, and can be found by scrolling down at http://reimagery.com/fsfd/txtedit1.htm

I use it, and can exchange documents with my Windows 10 copy of Word with little issue other than deleting a few spurious characters.

Blog Entries

PC-Write was one of the earliest pieces of shareware and was pretty highly regarded back in the day.

Blog Entries

Question: When was the last time you used EDLIN?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Probably about 3 weeks ago. It still sucks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    1984. It was then that I ported my own editor from x80 code, finally. Still use it on occasion (it's pretty small)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    PC-Write was one of the earliest pieces of shareware and was pretty highly regarded back in the day.
    Licensed user back in the day, AND the Russian language add-on.

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    1984. It was then that I ported my own editor from x80 code, finally. Still use it on occasion (it's pretty small)
    I thought it was neato when messing with batch files. I always liked making my own batch files for doing this and that.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

The DOS word processor I liked a lot was Professional Write 2.x. It has a good built in spiel cheekier.

For text editing, I still like Useful Editor (shareware). It is really good at manipulating columns of text.

The last time I checked, EDLIN was still part of Windows 10 32-bit.