Image Map Image Map

Thread: Siemens PCD-5T Pentium 60Mhz configuration issue

Default Siemens PCD-5T Pentium 60Mhz configuration issue

Hi,

I've got this Siemens PCD-5T Pentium 60Mhz that I decided to try and get up and running.

2021-01-23 12.07.56.jpg

The computer has an Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card with a Conner 540MB HD.

When I first started the PC I got the following messages :
    2021-01-23 12.10.47.jpg

So realtime clock failure and fixed disk configuration error (?).
    The Adaptec seems to load the bios and the disk is also installed on startup.

I replaced the Dallas chip but after that the following happened :

2021-01-23 21.51.53.jpg

Realtime clock failure and fixed disk configuration error disappeared.
    But this time te Adaptec bios was no longer installed (but I could go into the SCSISelect utility and see the drives)

Also :

- When I placed the original Dallas chip back in, the Adaptec again was able to load the bios on boot.
    - When I placed the new Dallas chip back in, the Adaptec failed to load the BIOS.

I have no idea how to enter the CMOS setup of this computer (Don't even know if there is one, or if there is some kind of setup disk).

There is very little info on the computer.

I found a setup program here : http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/...-5t/index.html
    I found the motherboard layout here : https://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/S-T/33370.htm

But the only setup program I have is the Siemens EISA setup utility, and I cannot change the system configuration because it is password protected

2021-01-23 23.19.21.jpg

I didn't find any operation manual or other system disk.

Any ideas how I can proceed with this ?
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

Hi ...

the board is a D808 and you will get documents from https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/

there you have to go to "Produkt Support"
    -> Browse for Produkt (klick)

Below select MAINBOARDS

on the right select FORMER MODELS and CLICK
    on the right you see board numbers
    D06xx
    D07xx
    D08xx CLICK on this

the list changes to boards from D800 to D887
    and you have to select your D808 board and click.

The page changes and you have to CLICK on the DOWNLOAD button
    Below the tex DOWNLOADS for D808 you can select for OS/NONOS independent downloads and click.

####
    for some weeks the files from above are there:
    http://www.myoldc.info/upload/pcd5t-D808.zip

####

As you have an eisa board all is configure by the eisa setup config files.

Older DALLAS had a pin to shorten the internal battery for reset purpose. Modern one miss this .
    If you have the pin you can shorten it (outside the poard or near the dalals thers a jumper).

########################
    https://pcrebuilding.altervista.org/...87_in_a_PC.pdf
    ##

What is the difference between the DS12887 and DS12887A? What is RAM clear?
    The "A" at the end of the part number indicates a "RAM clear" pin. This is true for many clock modules
    including those from other manufacturers. The DS12B887 also has a RAM clear function; however
    works differently than the "A" RAM clear.
    RAM clear is a way to reset the user RAM in the clock module. The user RAM is normally used to
    CMOS setup information. If a BIOS has a BIOS (boot) password option (not to be confused with the
    Windows password), the password can usually be reset by clearing the CMOS setup (user RAM). Usually
    a part without the RAM clear option will replace a part that does have one. However, if a BIOS password
    used and then forgotten, there is no way to reset it. The clock module would need to be replaced.

############################

If you have your nos dallas inserted no password ist available but you have to go to the BIOS Setup, even you have to use the eisa.cfg files to setup the boards.

Here you can read about eisa http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/...s/eisabook.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fritzeflink View Post
    Hi ...
    the board is a D808 and you will get documents from https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/
    Thx a lot ... that's where I found it in the end, and that's where I found out that you need to use CTRL-ALT-INSERT into get into the built in cmos setup program.
    The way Fujitsu serves these files makes it difficult for Google to index those I guess

IMHO the Adaptec disappeared because something got reset in the CMOS and there was no IRQ assignment on the PCI slots.
    I specified IRQ10 to the PCI slot where the Adaptec was and it started working again.

Older DALLAS had a pin to shorten the internal battery for reset purpose. Modern one miss this .
    I replaced the existing Dallas with a brand new DS12887A I ordered from RSComponents.
    I could enter the CMOS setup without any issues and change things.
    There is also a dip switch on the mainboard to reset the bios password.

As you have an eisa board all is configure by the eisa setup config files.
    If you have your nos dallas inserted no password ist available but you have to go to the BIOS Setup, even you have to use the eisa.cfg files to setup the boards.
    Here you can read about eisa http://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/...s/eisabook.pdf
    I am still a bit confused about this ...

The Siemens EISA config utility says that the "system configuration" is password protected (it prompts me for a password when the setup disk is reading the mainboard cfg file).
    But I can go into the built in CMOS setup (CTRL_ALT_INSERT) and change system settings there.
    Now I don't have any EISA cards, but I did noticed there was an EISA CFG file for the motherboard.
    But I don't know where that "system configuration password" in the EISA setup utility is coming from or how I can reset it.
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

As I don't have any eisa boards anymore my PCD-5t is the desktop version with only PCI and ISA boards.

Can you please post the eisa config file you try ?

I remember even if you use no eisa cards the mainboard has to be configured for some hardware parts but I didn't had any password protected problems.

Hopefully somebody else will find a solution.

Hmmm, same machine we had running Siplace (Siemens) pick & place equipment many moons ago. Even the tape drive is the same. Ran SCO 5. Lots of memories from then.

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    Hmmm, same machine we had running Siplace (Siemens) pick & place equipment many moons ago. Even the tape drive is the same. Ran SCO 5. Lots of memories from then.
    Looking forward to seeing what is on there .... Either going to try and image the hard drive and see if I can find the root pwd somewhere, or see if I can use some boot disks but takes some time finding out about that old unix stuff

The security setup in bios should be:

System Password: Not Set

System Lock: Disable

Keyboard Lock: Disable

Setup Lock: Disable

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpector78 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what is on there .... Either going to try and image the hard drive and see if I can find the root pwd somewhere, or see if I can use some boot disks but takes some time finding out about that old unix stuff
    If it is one of their Industrial Machines, the OS will likely take some finding (if it's still on there at all). Most Siemens stuff was heavily modified to keep users "in their place". Germans are also notorious for using odd software. Didn't get a line computer (a machine that controls P&P machines) based on any form of Windows until around 2004 (I was an SMT Programmer from '95 until 2007, when the facility moved all operations to Mexico).