Image Map Image Map

Thread: Problems using eBay on K-Meleon 76.3.1 on Windows 10

Default Problems using eBay on K-Meleon 76.3.1 on Windows 10

I recently switched to the K-Meleon web browser from Firefox on most of my computers and my experience has been great overall.

The only major issues I've run into have been with eBay on Windows 10. For one I cannot view my Purchase History. If I click on Purchase History from the top-right dropdown menu I get thrown back to the login page, with an endless loop if I try to log in. Second, and arguably even worse is that I can't get to eBay checkout. When I try to pay for an item, I get an "Access denied on this server" page.

Funny thing is, I also switched to K-Meleon on my main XP desktop and eBay works perfectly fine. I can get to my purchase history and the checkout page with no problems.

Has anyone else been having these issues, even on a different browser?
    Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
    IBM PS/2 Model P70, Compaq Contura 3/25, Any Toshiba Libretto laptop from the Libretto 50CT up to the 110CT, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

Send a PM if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!

I've been using NewMoon 27.x on XP, and just the other day eBay screwed something up so that when I click on a "this item has been relisted" link from an ended listing, it will log me out. It will still go to the page, but I will have to log back in eventually. That should just be a link with a redirect, so they must have gone to some extra trouble to screw that up. However, it appears to work OK in 28.x and later.

It seems a LOT of sites have become actively hostile against anything that isn't the absolute latest Google Crumb (which itself has broken a lot of stuff lately) or Firefox (Which as been such a UI disaster people need the old ones to stay sane).

Checkout/paying seems to still work, although bizarrely they seem to have three or four totally different pages for that now and I never know which one it is going to show me. There is no consistency.

It feels like the entire "web" is falling apart. When every single piece of content is delivered via astronomically complex scripting code that can break if the wind blows in a different direction, that is just not what the web was supposed to be.

One of the few things eBay has done right is retain the use of proper "pages". I could actually print them if I wanted to. If I had to sludge through some hypnotic scrolling continuous carousel of listings, I would shoot myself.

Blog Entries

Debian still uses Firefox ESR (78.6.1) as the default browser; it works fine on eBay.

Epiphany is still available, if you want a WebKit browser--and it can be installed on W10, using WSL.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I've been using NewMoon 27.x on XP, and just the other day eBay screwed something up so that when I click on a "this item has been relisted" link from an ended listing, it will log me out. It will still go to the page, but I will have to log back in eventually. That should just be a link with a redirect, so they must have gone to some extra trouble to screw that up. However, it appears to work OK in 28.x and later.

It seems a LOT of sites have become actively hostile against anything that isn't the absolute latest Google Crumb (which itself has broken a lot of stuff lately) or Firefox (Which as been such a UI disaster people need the old ones to stay sane).

Checkout/paying seems to still work, although bizarrely they seem to have three or four totally different pages for that now and I never know which one it is going to show me. There is no consistency.

It feels like the entire "web" is falling apart. When every single piece of content is delivered via astronomically complex scripting code that can break if the wind blows in a different direction, that is just not what the web was supposed to be.

One of the few things eBay has done right is retain the use of proper "pages". I could actually print them if I wanted to. If I had to sludge through some hypnotic scrolling continuous carousel of listings, I would shoot myself.
    Seems like most websites these days are nothing more than unscrupulous piles of broken JavaScript. Part of the reason I was so sad to see Flash go (don't get me wrong, Flash wasn't particularly great either but at least I could run it without my web browser screeching to a halt!) Switching to Gurgle Crumb or one of the newer versions of Firefuchs would be the last thing I'd do. Especially hate those websites built using those stupid sluggish templates from "website builders" like Squarespace and Wix. As far as I'm concerned, building a website from the ground up using HTML is still the way to go.
    IBM PS/2 Model P70, Compaq Contura 3/25, Any Toshiba Libretto laptop from the Libretto 50CT up to the 110CT, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Debian still uses Firefox ESR (78.6.1) as the default browser; it works fine on eBay.

Epiphany is still available, if you want a WebKit browser--and it can be installed on W10, using WSL.
    Firefox 78.6.1 seems to still be fine for the most part, though 52.9.0 (the last version that will run on Windows XP) is definitely having some issues by this point.

Will consider giving Epiphany a try at some point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post

I still run the Microsoft/Mozilla collaboration on my XP machine with no problems (so far).
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting