Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 177

Thread: Why the bleep is eBay so expensive??

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDS View Post
    Some will and some won't. Look at some other hobbies for examples. There are actually more 1932 Fords on the roads today than Henry made in 1932. Which is kind of amazing when you take into account how many were collected and melted down in WWII scrap drives. How can that be? The demand for originals outpaced the supply enough to create and nurture a thriving "repop" industry.

    https://brookvilleroadster.com/

    Another company was doing so well restoring Ford Broncos that Ford has brought a modernized version back into production.

    But I'm sorry to break to to you 1960 Mercury fans. There ain't a whole lot of love going around for the ugliest car ever made this side of France.

    Bottom line? If you have an Altair or an IMSAI 8080, hang on to them. Ditto for just about anything DEC. Some things are already selling for more than they did new, and the prices are not likely to be dropping any time soon if ever.
    Thats pretty interesting DDS. I have been looking at those car kits going back to the 90's and always wanted a and old Ford Pickup but here in New England they have long since rotted. I always had feelings of the kit cars and not being a true reproduction, but I had no basis for those beliefs.




    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    People sell things as for parts because they can refuse returns and refunds. Once items get into the 100's of dollars
    I am putting serious thought into changing ALL my listings to broken/as is just for the few people who don't read the listing or are trying to scam the system. I have gotten 5 of these in the past month and eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer. I was selling some broken IIgs boards. Sold them as broken. Someone bought them I assume because they thought I didn't know how to test, they probably work or he can fix them easily and fip them. When we realized her couldn't, he opened a "Doesn't match description" case and there I am on the phone with India asking why my broken items are even allowed to have a return case opened.. And that was just one of the cases.. The rest were similar. One guy who may or may not have had mental impairments assumed one of my video adapters was an RF device even though it DOES NOT say that anywhere in the listing, eBay allowed him a return even though I have sold almost 100 of these with NEVER a single return. Thanks for F#$king up my record ebay!

    So all in all I think it doesnt matter, if you are a seller on eBay your screwed.
    Last edited by VERAULT; March 4th, 2021 at 06:14 AM.

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDS View Post
    Worse than Windows 10? Eww! Just Eww!
    I know!!! Hard to imagine where all this is heading.

    But many of us said the same about DOS! And each new iteration of MacOS or Windows tends to make me want to go back at least a step or two!

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyO View Post
    each new iteration of MacOS or Windows tends to make me want to go back at least a step or two!
    Enjoy that while programs still being developed continue to work on old releases.
    Current releases of browsers are the worst for abandoning old machines, and of course the web keeps churning requiring the latest shiny.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    he opened a "Doesn't match description" case and there I am on the phone with India asking why my broken items are even allowed to have a return case opened..

    So all in all I think it doesn't matter, if you are a seller on eBay your screwed.
    Been there, done that. I sell on eBay, and yes, as a seller you are screwed when dealing with buyers. The "Does not match description" thing is used all too often for fraudulent reasons by buyers. What's the alternative? Amazon? That sounds even worse.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Enjoy that while programs still being developed continue to work on old releases.
    Current releases of browsers are the worst for abandoning old machines, and of course the web keeps churning requiring the latest shiny.
    Speaking only for myself, I don't have a great deal of interest in software being currently developed and released because to me, this is much of the problem with current/recent computing. The drive to add features, to build out 'better' applications and OSes, just makes for unnecessary bloat and solutions that are more of the problem.

    Plus, the constant nagging for updates and patches, notifications and interruptions in workflow reduce my efficiency.

    It's true that if we want the latest, we have to put up with all this, but I didn't get interested in computing for any reason than that it seemed to offer useful tools to get the job done. Those self-same computers, old as they are now, still do.

    They, and I, predate the internet. Of course, I do use eBay and the web as a whole, but I have systems for that which are not intended for serious work!

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kc8eyt View Post
    Been there, done that. I sell on eBay, and yes, as a seller you are screwed when dealing with buyers. The "Does not match description" thing is used all too often for fraudulent reasons by buyers. What's the alternative? Amazon? That sounds even worse.
    There is no alternative..... eBay has the money to tie up EVERYONE in litigation so they have monopolized the market.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Ohio/USA
    Posts
    8,228
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I am putting serious thought into changing ALL my listings to broken/as is just for the few people who don't read the listing or are trying to scam the system. I have gotten 5 of these in the past month and eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer. I was selling some broken IIgs boards. Sold them as broken. Someone bought them I assume because they thought I didn't know how to test, they probably work or he can fix them easily and fip them. When we realized her couldn't, he opened a "Doesn't match description" case and there I am on the phone with India asking why my broken items are even allowed to have a return case opened.. And that was just one of the cases.. The rest were similar. One guy who may or may not have had mental impairments assumed one of my video adapters was an RF device even though it DOES NOT say that anywhere in the listing, eBay allowed him a return even though I have sold almost 100 of these with NEVER a single return. Thanks for F#$king up my record ebay!

    So all in all I think it doesnt matter, if you are a seller on eBay your screwed.
    I just received an ebay shipment for what was listed as a LTO-3 tape drive with a non stock picture of that exact drive and received a DLT VLS160 drive in an oversized box with 0 packing in it. So not as described is what I will go with but I emailed the seller first just to hear what he has to say.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,496

    Default

    There you go unknown_K. You did the right thing, maybe they are a good seller but mixed up packages (still no excuse for shitty packing but that is more common then not). I always message them first as well. The good sellers fix the problems with no need to open a claim.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charnitz View Post
    In terms of professional software, is it only 20 years, or is there really anything other than video and multi-track audio editing that couldn't have been done in 1989?
    Nonlinear video editing was still a ways off, but a professional DAW, Sonic Solutions' Sonic System, was available with 48kHz/24-bit capability in 1989. Two more years and Pro Tools hit the scene.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

  10. #60

    Default

    Maybe all this eBay rigamarole is why God gave us the Computer Reset Liquidation. (If you don’t know about it, start by watching LGR’s video on YouTube.)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •