Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best SSD option for vintage PCs

Again, there is a DOS utility to manually invoke trim. I DO care about linear transfer speeds, and every CF card I've tried has been slower than IDE mechanical drives in linear writes

Quote Originally Posted by kc8eyt View Post
    I try to stick with 256MB cards for 8088/86/V20/V30 systems because of the long delays in DOS' processing of free space especially on the first DIR command.
    Apologies for the minor thread hijack, but your ship has come in.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?78490

Thanks for all the help and advice folks. Any pointers towards a good sata to IDE adapter would be most helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I've got personal experience to the contrary. Especially with writes
    I did specifically say with reads. Yes, "simple" flash devices suck with writes. Granted I've hardly ever cared about write performance because, well, gotta be honest, with most of what I do with my ancient PCs the only time writes matter at all is the single case, when I install a new piece of software. And most of the time when you're doing that the write performance of the drive usually isn't the limiting factor anyway.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by hargle View Post
    Apologies for the minor thread hijack, but your ship has come in.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?78490
    Well what do you know. Someone fixed that issue. I'll check it out. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Again, there is a DOS utility to manually invoke trim. I DO care about linear transfer speeds, and every CF card I've tried has been slower than IDE mechanical drives in linear writes
    Sorry, I should have read on through the rest of the post. TRIM in DOS, interesting. I guess I never really cared about write speeds enough to notice if CF cards are slower. I set my cards up on my duplicator which takes a few minutes. Once in their target systems it's mostly reads from there. My biggest concerns are usually does DOOM, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D run well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kc8eyt View Post
    My biggest concerns are usually does DOOM, Quake, and Duke Nukem 3D run well.
    Yes! My CF's do okay with Quake, Duke, and Doom also.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Frankly with that vintage of software once you have a device that can do, I dunno, a couple megabytes per second in sustained read speeds, which almost all flash devices (All but the most ancient and tiny CFs and SD cards included) can easily do I'm skeptical that your average human would be able to really notice any improvement in real-world circumstances(*).

(* "real-world" being "Loading the next level in Doom", or whatever.)

Again, I will grant that if you're intending to run Windows 9x and pound the crud out of virtual memory (although why you would do that when maxxing out the physical memory of your vintage gamer is about the cheapest upgrade you can make to it is a decent question) then write performance might be more of a thing and it might be worth your time looking at a SATA or M.2 converter so you can use a real SSD with a substantial amount of write-back cache. but I'm skeptical that's really a *common* use case, at least for a casual collector.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

The ones that I bought off of amazon show as currently unavailable, but this one looks identical:
    HDE 2 Pack IDE/EIDE/PATA Computer to SATA Hard Drive Interface Adapter PC Mac
    https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Computer-...MRI/ref=sr_1_1

Blog Entries

I wrote a little squib on my experiences with various adapters a couple of years ago here. At that time, I found that the RXD-629A7-7 adapter worked fine on all platforms from Win98SE, Windows 7, and Debian Linux.

Other adapters that I bought would often choke on large data transfers.