Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheapo multimeters

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky
    Blog Entries

I was under the impression they were wholly manufactured in China. They were also in the news recently, that is in the last 2-3 years as I recall.

My problem is paying a premium for something that's made in China. And I'll bet for the most part that is where they're made.

Blog Entries

Yeah, found the article from 2016. Gobble 'em up and spit 'em out, I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I was under the impression they were wholly manufactured in China. They were also in the news recently, that is in the last 2-3 years as I recall.

My problem is paying a premium for something that's made in China. And I'll bet for the most part that is where they're made.
    Buy a Fluke for < $100 and it will last a lifetime. You may want to check out Ebay for a used one.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I got a Fluke 77 for my 17th birthday. I used it yesterday, and I'm currently 50.

I have replaced the leads multiple times over the years, and cleaned the contacts a handful of times, but it's still matching the new fluke I use at work for measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I still have my 90's vintage Fluke 29 series (purchased new). Changed the batteries a few times and I think I had to clean the contacts for the LCD once. Also had to get new probes.
    29 series two? It was my first meter as well, mine also still works perfectly.

Blog Entries

I just checked out my DVM collection and discovered what I thought was a H/P was in fact a Fluke model 8060A. The H/P was evidently scooped up by my son. Anyway, this 8060A is the one that can do frequency and dB. I've had this meter since the early 90's and never had a problem with it. If one Googles for the 8060A you may find a used one for around $79 or so.

8060.JPG
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Buy a Fluke for < $100 and it will last a lifetime. You may want to check out Ebay for a used one.
    Yes. I swear by my 87 that I got used on ebay many years ago

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I just checked out my DVM collection and discovered what I thought was a H/P was in fact a Fluke model 8060A. The H/P was evidently scooped up by my son. Anyway, this 8060A is the one that can do frequency and dB. I've hand this meter since the early 90's and never had a problem with it. If one Googles for the 8060A you may find a used one for around $79 or so.

8060.JPG
    that's the old push button variety. I bought one in the early 90s and fell in love (not sure if I had ever used that type prior, even as a tech). Loved it, swore I'd never frig it up. Unti I did. I went looking for it in the garage recently, I hate to think I threw it out. It was some lesser known brand, had a spot on the lcd (which came and went), and I only paid 15$ for it.

I'm probably better with the dial up variety. I'm such a moron sometimes. Maybe all the time. You'd think as the older type makes you think, you really shouldn't make a mistake. There will come a day nevertheless.