Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RX02 for QUniBone is ready ... now media questions

I am not sure those disk images have the source code to the PDP P-code emulator though (although I haven't looked yet - so I may be speaking prematurely)...

I have, however, managed to get the source code I have been trying to resurrect to 'almost' assemble.

The MACRO-11 cross assembler I am using appears to have a few bugs - resulting in it 'hanging' whilst trying to assemble, or just generating a load of error messages when it shouldn't be.

I am a few definitions and macros missing, the start-up code and the trap handler code.

Happy to share if this would be of use to anyone...

I am trying to build a system for a KXT11-CA using the second serial port as a virtual TU58 device. Why not?!

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Hoppe View Post
    Hi Don,

I saw your repository earlier and used RT11.RX as my test RT11 boot indeed, thank you!

However I was neither able to boot XXDP.RX2, nor could I "DIR DY1:" to NEW_GAMES.RX2 or ADVENT_MUSC.RX2 under RT11 or
    What do I miss?

kind regards,
    Joerg

PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta REALCONS build Mar 18 2018 git commit id: $Format:
    sim> do -v boot.ini
    boot.ini-1> set cpu 11/23, 256K
    boot.ini-3> set rx disable
    boot.ini-4> set ry enabled
    boot.ini-6> attach ry0 RT11.RX2
    RY: buffering file in memory
    boot.ini-6> ; attach ry0 XXDP.RX2
    boot.ini-8> attach ry1 NEW_GAMES.RX2
    RY: buffering file in memory
    boot.ini-8> ; attach ry1 ADCENT_MUSIC.RX2
    boot.ini-11> reset all
    boot.ini-13> boot ry0

RT-11SB V05.07

.R MSCPCK

.dir dy1:

?DIR-F-Invalid directory

The games disks I believe are OS8, not RT11 format.

The XXDP.RX2 disk is a PDP-11 bootable XXDP diagnostics disk, it is not RT11 format.

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    I am not sure those disk images have the source code to the PDP P-code emulator though (although I haven't looked yet - so I may be speaking prematurely)...

I have, however, managed to get the source code I have been trying to resurrect to 'almost' assemble.

The MACRO-11 cross assembler I am using appears to have a few bugs - resulting in it 'hanging' whilst trying to assemble, or just generating a load of error messages when it shouldn't be.

I am a few definitions and macros missing, the start-up code and the trap handler code.

I am trying to build a system for a KXT11-CA using the second serial port as a virtual TU58 device. Why not?!

Dave
    Why don't you try compiling natively instead of using some cross assembler?

Blog Entries

Also FYI, located here: https://www.ak6dn.com/PDP-11/RX02/ are a bunch of RX02 XXDPv2 bootable PDP-11 diagnostic disks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post

Dave
    I have used this PDP-11 cross-assembler for ages: https://github.com/Rhialto/macro11 and have had no problems even with very complex macros and source files.

All my home grown diagnostics here: https://www.ak6dn.com/PDP-11/DIAGNOSTICS/ are built using it.

Thanks Don.

I was using an old version of this (pre Rhialto modifications).

However, the TRAP instruction appears to generate an error. There is a line missing from source file "assemble.c".

in the 'CASE OC_MARK:', just after the statement "value = parse_expr(cp,0);", there should be a statement "cp = value->cp;" otherwise the source line character pointer does not get moved on properly to satisfy the EOL check.

However, this didn't 'fix' my original problem. When invoking .FLT2 from with an a .MACRO, the assembler hangs. I will have another look at this later on tonight.

I also had a problem with .RADIX 2 (but this was in the previous - older - macro11 assembler source). I modified the original code for the UCSD p-code interpreter to use an OCTAL constant rather than a BINARY constant.

EDIT1: The .RADIX 2 problem appears to be fixed with the later release.

EDIT2: The bit of code that causes the macro11 assembler to loop appears to be:

Code:
     ;. BUILD A POWER OF TEN TABLE
     EXPON = 0
     .MACRO  PWR10   EXP
             ;DERBODGE .FLT2   1.0E'EXP
     .ENDM

TENTBL: .REPT   38.
             PWR10   EXPON
             EXPON = EXPON+1
             .ENDR
    Obviously, without the ";DERBODGE" present!

Using the construct:

Code:
    .FLT2 1.0E0
    .FLT2 1.0E1
    Appears to work OK, so I suspect it has something to do with the concatenation within the macro.

Interestingly, putting some debug code into assembler.c within the while loop of "case P_FLT2:" resulted in the debug code not executing for some reason. Almost as though the assembler went into a loop before getting there...

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; March 6th, 2021 at 09:26 AM.

Blog Entries

I'll have to check these out on the current versions of the code I am using to see if I can replicate. If I can, probably will submit bug reports to github to get it fixed.