Image Map Image Map

Thread: Asus x200t sub notebook

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky
    Blog Entries

Default Asus x200t sub notebook

It originally came with Windows 8.1. As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I went and downloaded 10, immediately forgot the password. I tried some snake oil solutions to this problem w/o positive results. I eventually stumbled upon the solution to getting *any* OS running, that is a specific file was necessary for it to boot as the uefi is a hybrid I suppose, 64 bit processor, but 32 bit capable as far as operating systems. Don't ask me anymore, that's all I know. Eventually got 1 or more flavors of Linux running, Bionic Puppy, would boot live but not install. Fedora 32, which I've had on it for several months. It's ok, or rather it works, but has a few headaches.

Anyway I have too much junk lying around, although I use some of it daily. I have newer stuff I could be using so want to move the older stuff out. I didn't mention that I saved an image of the Windows 10 install. I could reinstall it and try other ways of retrieving my password. Or, as it occurred to me recently, I could just download a Windows 10 image and install that afresh. But I have to hearken back to a conversation I had with a tech at Asus, where when I asked is 8.1 original for download, he stated the image specific to this laptop could be purchased for money. I don't even have that link anymore. So my question is would any old Windows 10 image do (32 bit of course). Or do I really need to make the image I originally downloaded work for optimal efficiency. If there is even such a thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    It originally came with Windows 8.1. As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. I went and downloaded 10, immediately forgot the password. I tried some snake oil solutions to this problem w/o positive results. I eventually stumbled upon the solution to getting *any* OS running, that is a specific file was necessary for it to boot as the uefi is a hybrid I suppose, 64 bit processor, but 32 bit capable as far as operating systems. Don't ask me anymore, that's all I know. Eventually got 1 or more flavors of Linux running, Bionic Puppy, would boot live but not install. Fedora 32, which I've had on it for several months. It's ok, or rather it works, but has a few headaches.

Anyway I have too much junk lying around, although I use some of it daily. I have newer stuff I could be using so want to move the older stuff out. I didn't mention that I saved an image of the Windows 10 install. I could reinstall it and try other ways of retrieving my password. Or, as it occurred to me recently, I could just download a Windows 10 image and install that afresh. But I have to hearken back to a conversation I had with a tech at Asus, where when I asked is 8.1 original for download, he stated the image specific to this laptop could be purchased for money. I don't even have that link anymore. So my question is would any old Windows 10 image do (32 bit of course). Or do I really need to make the image I originally downloaded work for optimal efficiency. If there is even such a thing.
    All of my laptops, about 4, have a the key on sticker type deal usually inside and visible when you pull battery out or under under a panel like where the memory access is. The one I'm using now does. There are apps out there that can recover most keys and passwords bit you need to look.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

the problem is this is a weirdo. It won't boot anything except that which was specifically intended to be booted by one of these hybrid laptops.

the point is there's a key embedded in the firmware. As long as you have that, anything that can boot will. 8.1, 10. I tried 7 and though it didn't boot, it tipped me off as to what was missing. In big red letters. bootia32.efi is the necessary file. More modern laptops need bootx64.efi. within /boot/efi.

Blog Entries

the problem is this is a weirdo. It won't boot anything except that which was specifically intended to be booted by one of these hybrid laptops.

the point is there's a key embedded in the firmware. As long as you have that, anything that can boot will. 8.1, 10. I tried 7 and though it didn't boot, it tipped me off as to what was missing. In big red letters. bootia32.efi is the necessary file. More modern laptops need bootx64.efi. within /boot/efi.
    I'm not an expert on these, maybe a click above novice, but what I think you have incurred is W10's secure UEFI boot. The only way around it is to reinstall Windows. That's why I goto great lengths to make sure secure boot is off on my W10 PC's.

Blog Entries

You can disable secure boot. Reinstalling w8.1 or 10 shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering if a stock w10 image was ideal. I'll try over the weekend.

If anyone knows of a password recovery tool that has the proper facilities to boot on such a machine, please inform. I tried hiren's. Maybe I need to find a different version.

Blog Entries

You can disable secure boot. Reinstalling w8.1 or 10 shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering if a stock w10 image was ideal. I'll try over the weekend.

If anyone knows of a password recovery tool that has the proper facilities to boot on such a machine, please inform. I tried hiren's. Maybe I need to find a different version.
    You may have to find a 'dark' site for that

Else, just grab a MS USB W10 boot routine of their site and install what you need; ie., Pro, Home, Etc. You are going to need a valid key somewhere along the way.

So my question is would any old Windows 10 image do (32 bit of course). Or do I really need to make the image I originally downloaded work for optimal efficiency. If there is even such a thing.
    You can use any of the standard images by Microsoft. If it does not contain all the drivers for that notebook (which I'm sure the image from Asus did not either), it will download what's missing from Windows Update anyway.

Blog Entries

So the only difference between a "proprietary"/official image is bound to be driver support and perhaps any imcluded s/w packages? I can't remember what came with the unit originally. Perhaps not much.

Depends. The one offered by Asus may not have had any changes at all. That is, if it was just called a Windows 10 install disc or something.

Those modified to fit the device are normally called recovery discs. They come with all drivers and software pre-installed.

Blog Entries

So the only difference between a "proprietary"/official image is bound to be driver support and perhaps any imcluded s/w packages? I can't remember what came with the unit originally. Perhaps not much.
    The 'proprietary' image is usually one that has the backup or restore routine along with all that bloat about 'help' and this and that and drivers.