Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do you think of my CPT 8535?

"This guy" is Tom Foote-Lennox. I worked with him at CPT. He was very proud of his bowtie and red Mickey Mouse socks! Imagine Pee Wee Herman as a programmer...

2. Default CPT 8100 hardware datasheets, ROM, etc

Hello all,

The CPT 8100 is very special to me -- it was my computer as a teenager. My friends had Apples and Commodores but I had MathPak. Nonetheless I was able to do many things on it such as a cellular automata calculator and a text-based side-scrolling game. It was an amazing machine and I miss it (I think my parents threw it away years ago).

I am now attempting to write an (open source) emulator for the 8100. This is naturally a challenge that will probably take several years because the technical information is very sparse. I have the core 8080 finished and I understand that a WD1771 was used as the FD controller. However, I am having difficulty finding any other information.

I would greatly appreciate any insight or tips. Anything can be useful, such as scans of user documentation, high-resolution screenshots of the I/O boards, etc. Bootable disk images or BIOS/boot ROMs are holy grail. But even a vague recollection of a chip vendor can be helpful. I can examine I/O behavior and then try to find matching vendor datasheets from the era.

Naturally I will pay for any costs incurred and will provide full credit in the software documentation. And since I'm making this open source, you can even work on it yourself if you want.

Thank you!

Super Star (Metasoft) knows "Tomo?" I don't recall anything about him but... "This guy seems to have been involved in most of the thing. " Ahh?? I don't think so. I think he talks about writing the memory page flipper so the 8000 could address more then 64 K of ram (The 8100)

True?

I'm trying to recall who did what. Was it John Mack (Spelex?) who did the 94 Display board? I think getting schematics and data sheets for that won't help because when John Sackmeister did a Gate array version of the board for the Phoenix Jr (An IBM AT Clone with a built in "8000 on a stick" he said the display did things that ran some of the parts past their established ratings. It was a pretty cool thing which was so different from the "TV Typewriters" we competed with or the dumb graphic mode cards.

The CPU was just an 8080 but one of the neat tricks was to have all the async type stuff connected in by hardware interrupts. Thus you were never polling stupid stuff like Keyboards. An idea that seems so basic when you think about it and proof that we live in a world of computer "rubbish" now.

It really was a machine well ahead of its time for a variety of reasons.

A true Page at once that you could scroll as fast (and perfectly smooth scrolling in both x and Y, well before the DEC VT100 which was pretty but not very fast) Floppy Disks, Hard Disks, Usable Communications, MATH software, Mutitasking with hardware based interrupts on everything. The Phoenix was a Multiprocessor (And this as the first IBM PC came out) it had Error Correcting Memory that allowed you to pluck memory chips out of the board while it ran and the only difference was that it reported the error and kept running! It had a fully graphics based screen that had hardware assistance, Built in Hard disc.

CPT had Networking that was totally idiot proof. Alone the SRS45 (Network syste) was an amazing box. You just plugged in a "PC" type card and you were networked.

In the lab we had a daisy wheel printer that doubled as a scanner. *Pretty cool for its time when you understand there wasn't any "scanners" available then. There was nothing out there to touch what we had with the possible exception of the Xerox Star.

Anyway, I digress. I have a bunch of CPT odds and ends laying around and even more boxes of 8” disks than I care to admit to. They are a constant reminder to me that, “Making a better mouse trap”, is not always successful. If you need real answers, software, information, etc. just drop me a note. I’ll be glad to help.
    Have you still been hanging on to your CPT stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVolts View Post
    Have you still been hanging on to your CPT stuff?
    I just acquired a dual cassette based, modified Selectric packing CPT 4200 It's earlier than the Intel based units.

Hi All,

I just acquired a CPT 9000 system. I took it all apart to take pictures, then put it back together. Looks like it was built in ‘86 for the product release in ‘87, but the machines had a lot of upgrades over the years, looks like the upgrades ended about ‘95.

Anyway, it has a hard drive, but no CPT software, so that was a bit of a disappointment. Does anyone know if any of the software for these systems has been archived on the Internet?

I was looking for the CPT PT software, which seems like it should run on this system.

Thanks!

I've been searching for CPT software for over a year. I have a CPT Phoenix Jr that came with two disks, the Word Processor and the Utilities Disk. The Utilities Disk doesn't really do anything useful and the Word Processor disk has only successfully booted once. I'm thinking about getting a Kryoflux so I can try to recover it.

What I'd really like to find is a CP/M boot disk for it.

Hi All, Should anyone wish to have more detail about the CPT 9000, I've posted some pictures on my blog with images of the boards...
    https://writtenoutput.blogspot.com/2...story-cpt.html