Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I need help reading Tandy floppies

My suggestion: Build a data recovery station with a Catweasel MkIV and a 1.2MB HD 5.25" floppy disk. Use the cw2dmk program from Tim Mann to make images of the disks. You can then inspect the dmk images and see what they are for sure without having to guess what is on there or the format.

http://www.tim-mann.org/catweasel.html

If those disks are physically readable, the cw2dmk program can raw read them in and create an image. The program is amazing and can digest nearly anything you can put on a disk -- copy protection, errors, data, whatever.

Thanks and best of luck!

Andrew Lynch

PS, I just happen to have one of these stations so if you send me one of your disks I will try this out for you and tell you if it works or not (and email you the dmk image if it does work). You can mount the dmk image in simulator or convert it to another format. I will return your disk after its done but you pay for shipping, right? PM me if interested.
    Last edited by NobodyIsHere; August 22nd, 2007 at 03:37 AM. Reason: help

Blog Entries

Or, give Disk2FDI a try. It can do nearly anything the catweasel can do, but without a catweasel. There are caveats, but there are also caveats with a catweasel too (for example, cw2dmk can't read Amiga or Apple disks; Disk2FDI can).

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    One of the Aaron's on this board has waited (patiently?) a year for me to get one of these working which I haven't so we could backup some Model 16 software I have.
    - John
    That would be me. Waiting patiently. Are you saying that you've finally got it organised?

I ask because I've just finished a proggy that will allow you to read Model II/16 diskettes in using the FDC in your PC and/or a Catweasel card. All this without going back to DOS - it works under Win XP. It will even give you a working SD Track 0 if your FDC cannot read that, and it works out what DOS (TRSDOS 1.2/2.x, LSDOS 6.3.x, P&T CP/M 2.x, FMG/Lifeboat CP/M 2.x Radio Shack CP/M 3) the disk is formatted under. TRSDOS 1.1, Dosplus II/DP-II, PCD/FMG USCD Pascal, and Aton CP/M support will happen when I can find actual disks to work from.

I'm working on a companion to this, one that will allow you to manipulate the DMK image produced. It would allow you to transfer to and from the image any file on the disk, even between disks.

Would you like copies of these? I'm sure Kelly would be interested in this also.

Aaron

Well, I have a dual drive Model 12 and a dual drive 16 that I could back up the software for you on, if you'd like it done before both of you die of old age, or were you wanting to back it up to smaller media?
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Well, I would be interested, and what software are you looking for. I may be slow, but I have about 1800 disks for the model II/12/16/6000 series of computers.

I also have a catweasel, an 8" drive hooked up that can read and write SD in msdos using imagedisk, and a 5.25" drive hooked up to a couple of my 6000s in case there is no other way of making the image (dd works well for non boot disks).

Kelly

Well, I would be interested in Pickles and Trout CP/M on 8" media for the 16BHD.

I'd even send the diskette.

This is bordering on needing to be a PM. However, I think the knowledge is general enough that I'm posting it public.

I can provide you with either catweasel or ImageDisk format that you can then make your own floppy from. All you need is either a Catweasel, or a floppy controller that can write FM and you can create your own from the image. No shipping needed.

Kelly

Well, mailing the disk back and forth just seems the least expensive and least time consuming method of doing it.

It was all the rage back in the 8" media days LOL