Image Map Image Map

Thread: Setting up Windows 95 for DOS Games

Default Setting up Windows 95 for DOS Games

Greetings:

I have setup a computer to play my old Sierra On-line games (eg Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Kings Quest) and to act as a vintage workstation for my BBS system. The machine is a Compaq Deskpro 4000 5166 which I clocked down and installed 100 MHZ Pentium into in place of the 166 MHZ to avoid issues with timing on the old games. I have installed Windows 95 B onto the machine and now need to setup the DOS side to optimize for games.

I know I need to install my SB 16 DOS drivers for the games to work, but I am having a hard time remembering how to setup the boot menu so that I can choose to load straight DOS (no GUI) or Windows 95 (normal)... Once this is done, I would like the DOS side to load QEMM 386 version 8 for memory management, the SB 16 drivers, and the mouse drivers for the DOS games. These will not run under a DOS window really... even Lemmings for DOS has weirdness under the GUI.

Can someone help me with how to set all this up and of course not effect Windows 95 operation as well. I think this is doable, it has been a long long time though.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Mike

This is going to sound *way overboard* but you really need to setup 2 partitions and use something like Boot Magic to pick which to load.

That "run prior ms-dos version" that you can get on the Win95 menu tends to get lost as far as returning to normal Win95 again. I almost always end up with a mess that takes me 30 minutes to clean up.

Of course, you can't have Windows running when you are playing games but I don't think you intended that anyway.

Hi Chuckcmagee:

I don't think that I necessarily *need* the old DOS 6.22, IIRC, my games run fine under Win95 DOS/DOS 7. It is more getting the DOS environment setup for the games and having the boot menu (kind of like when you hit F to either load the GUI or NOT load the GUI... And since I plan to run QEMM, the real issue is will this freak out W95 -- I can not remember if QEMM version 8 (8.0.3) was still around when W95 B came out. Otherwise, unless I am missing something, I should be able to just load the config.sys and autoexec.bat and load the drivers... or are these needing to be under the .DOS counterparts? That is the nature of the questions. Yes, I do not plan to run the GUI if I am playing the games

Those ".dos" guys are left over from DOS 6.22. They get renamed to the normal file names when you pick that "run prior version of dos" menu selection. That's the one I advise you avoid like the plague! After doing that, leaving it in dos and turning the machine off, *IT* tries to figure out what happened before when you turn it back on. Usually renames all the files back like they were before you picked "prior" and continues. This is where I have had all kinds of trouble, it tends to get lost during this "rename things back" phase and you end up with a mess.

So.... it seems very LIKELY that QEMM will get along fine with Win95. If NONE of the games need EXPANDED memory, do the "noems" thing with QEMM. Windows always seemed to "like" extended memory much better than expanded, for some reason.

Before anyone goes overboard....STOP!!! You don't need DOS to run DOS games. I run Duke Nukem 3D on XP fine. I didn't have to install any drivers or anything, and ran it from windows. Just go into C:, and click the run.exe for the game. That brings up a DOS prompt, and plays the game just fine. For games like Doom, I do have to use a 90's computer, for IRQ's are different. Doom runs fine off '98. I'm sure with tweaking, your games will too. Seems to me, you could just buy a time machine for those games. Not Time Machine, but a machine from the games time. For instance, my new laptop won't play Doom with proper sound(IRQ). So, I am bidding on a time laptop, with a low end Pentium proccessor. So, I can play Doom on the go.

Again, do some tweaking, or even easier, buy a time machine.

EDIT: Commence critisizim!
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies.
    Wanted: Somebody to buy alot of my stuff
    AT&T PC 6300 site