Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mainframe software for PC

Default Mainframe software for PC

Although I subscribe to the Hacker imperative (hands-on), I try to
    learn some things from the mainframe world too.

I've had some experience with an IBM 3090, size of an aircraft hanger.
    I ended up as Network Control. Believe it or not, its a lot of *fun*!!!

OK, so I'm unlikely to add one to my collection any time Real Soon Now, BUT I can find some software to run on a PC.

Editors being one of my obsessions, here is an excellent free copy of the XEDIT mainframe editor. The Windows version is VERY EASY to use & install.

http://hessling-editor.sourceforge.net/

Want to emulate a mainframe? Here is the (reportedly) excellent
    Hercules Emulator:

http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/

One day soon, I hope to try it out. Perhaps you will & you'll let us know how you get on with it.

OK your turn. Do you have any (free) PC copies of mainframe software?
    Or (free) software that uses lessons from the mainframe world, or shares mainframe look & feel? Or any stories to tell? Talk to me!

Finally, I once wrote Eliza under ROSCOE on the 3090, kept on adding to it for months, the responses were more human than your normal Eliza.
    (Sorry I have no listing, but its easy to write). What interesting mainframe software have you written yourself?

.T.I.M
    WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP ITS BEEN

Default mainframe access

I need free mainframe access to server with userid and password. how i can get that one . Can anybody suggest me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bharat View Post
    I need free mainframe access to server with userid and password. how i can get that one . Can anybody suggest me. Thanks
    Suggest you learn to use the Search function.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...read.php?t=834

"It's a me-too, 8-bit machine with good graphics and a disk system nobody will support."
    -- Bill Gates, about the Sony SMC-70 with the new 3.5" floppy drives (InfoWorld; June 7, 1982)

Quote Originally Posted by TIML View Post
    One day soon, I hope to try it out. Perhaps you will & you'll let us know how you get on with it.
    I've been running Hercules on my iMac for quite a while now, both VM and MVS. Lots of fun. It works well. I highly recommend it.

Paul

Yup, I ran Hercules with MVS a few years back on a work computer just to see if I could pick up the OS a little better. I couldn't. ;o) It was interesting though.

The trickier part was finding a nice free 3270 emulator which unfortunately I can't remember which one I used. I think it was free and written by a university but can't remember the name.

I've used x3270 and tn3270. I prefer x3270. I'm not sure what exists in the windows world.

Paul

7. Default

I use IBM Personal Communication (PC3270), though it's a relatively old version but it works fine, I've tried other telnet clients before (eg. mocha, Hosaka, and others) but didn't feel comfortable with them

Here is a free 3270 telnet client, it does the job

Link

or if you don't like to install, and prefer to use a web based client to access a mainframe, you could try this (experimental) page

Link

Quote Originally Posted by TIML View Post
    Finally, I once wrote Eliza under ROSCOE on the 3090, kept on adding to it for months, the responses were more human than your normal Eliza.
    (Sorry I have no listing, but its easy to write). What interesting mainframe software have you written yourself?

.T.I.M
    I liked ROSCOE very much, it had a very easy to learn scripting language called (RPF) where you can create menus and procedures

you could even call executables or run ISPF applications under it.

This product was originally from a company called ADR (Applied Data Research) but was bought by CA (Computer Associates) later

Quote Originally Posted by alexlloyd54 View Post
    I use IBM Personal Communication (PC3270), though it's a relatively old version but it works fine, I've tried other telnet clients before (eg. mocha, Hosaka, and others) but didn't feel comfortable with them
    Wow does that take me back! I actually have a copy of PCom with the floppies still in the shrinkwrap. It's currently serving as a dustmagnet on the top shelf next to similarly-new boxes of PC-DOS3.3, LANMAN and OS/2 4. The latter is waiting for me to acquire a PS/2 mod 70 on which to run it.
    Network geek with a strong affinity for Telecasters
    Ham (WA4UF) with a strong affinity for boatanchors