Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can't expand .smi files (System 7.3.5)

Default Can't expand .smi files (System 7.3.5)

I have Mac OS X on this work computer. Stuffit Expander won't expand the darn files. What am I doing wrong?

In PC land, I often see zip files that don't work. Did you download it? Maybe download it again. I have a hexadecimal file viewer I use all the time on the PC. Frequently the extension gets changed to the wrong type and it's not really a zip file at all.

In PC land, I never had these problems. But I'm downloading from Apple's FTP website. And since the files are free, they purposely make them some wierd format so you have to earn the right to use them.

Atleast that's what it seems to me.

Ah, once again, it's google time. Look up stuff on "Alladin Shrinkwrap" and the "smi" extension.

http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/...ension.php?smi

Thanks, Chuck. Having done a search for Shrinkwrap, I pretty much concluded that Smith Micro (makers of Shrink It) bought off Aladdin so I can't find a working copy of ShrinkWrap via websurfing.

I'll see if Digital Dinos can download the files for me. ...

Perhaps one of these programs can help you? I realize version 3.5.1 is just a demo, but perhaps it does extract at least one image fully.
    ftp://ftp.allume.com/pub/archive/mac/ShrinkWrap/
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Perhaps one of these programs can help you? I realize version 3.5.1 is just a demo, but perhaps it does extract at least one image fully.
    ftp://ftp.allume.com/pub/archive/mac/ShrinkWrap/

YAY! As soon as I get permission to use the Mac again, I'll try out ShrinkWrap.

Let me know if it doesn't work I will try and find out where I got version 5.6 (I thinks that's it). I'm in to much pain now to climb the stairs today.

Ah It's aladin Stuff it Expander I have, and if you find it I have one piece of advice: If a file won't expand automatically, you may have to make an alias or put the stuffit expander file on your desktop and drag the file you want opened onto it.
    Last edited by lenegade; October 26th, 2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added info
    "But it's like pie r square and cornbread r round; we all know that pie r round and cornbread r square..."