Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I interface a TRS-80 Model I to a TV or Composit video monitor?

Default How do I interface a TRS-80 Model I to a TV or Composit video monitor?

I recently acquired a TRS-80 Model I Level II 16k with a power supply; but I don't yet have a Tandy Video Monitor. In searching the Web, I have run across a few references on interfacing a Model I video output to a TV or Composit Monitor but there are no details on how to do it. The Din-5 provides sync, video, +5 and ground. What is the schematic to feed these into a composit RCA jack on a TV or monitor?? Any help would be appreciated.

Connect ground (pin 5) to the shield of a piece of coax (terminated in an RCA connector), and the video signal (pin 4) to the tip. You will then have a standard compsite video out.

Do NOT CONNECT ANY OTHER PINS. There is 5V lurking there that can cause smoke to come out.

Yeah, I used to make the cables all the time by just taking and old AT keyboard cable and soldering an RCA jack to the wires that corresponded with pin 4 (data) and pin 5 (ground). Plugged right into the video output jack.

BTW, an ordinary AT style keyboard extension cable is great for using as a monitor cable extension on the model 1.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

On the topic, but slightly different question. As you know, I received the TRS-80 Model III with a smashed monitor this summer, and I haven't had the time or motivation to try find another tube. However there is a cable from the motherboard to the monitor circuit board. I have downloaded some service manuals, but didn't look into them. Does anyone know if the Model III on this connector also has a "standard" video output that I could tap and feed into another monitor? If yes, I may be able to locate the pinout, but as long as I don't know if I should expect to find what I'm looking for, I may look in vain.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    On the topic, but slightly different question. As you know, I received the TRS-80 Model III with a smashed monitor this summer, and I haven't had the time or motivation to try find another tube. However there is a cable from the motherboard to the monitor circuit board. I have downloaded some service manuals, but didn't look into them. Does anyone know if the Model III on this connector also has a "standard" video output that I could tap and feed into another monitor? If yes, I may be able to locate the pinout, but as long as I don't know if I should expect to find what I'm looking for, I may look in vain.
    I have no answer for your question, but I feel your pain. I too got a Model III that wasn't packaged correctly and the monitor imploded. My solution was to track down a Model IV and use the III for parts.
    =============================
    Bill Loguidice, Author
    Managing Director, Armchair Arcade
    About Me

Even if I can get video from the computer, it probably will be NTSC at best. Maybe I'll find time in November to look into this. First I need to follow Druid's advice how to adopt the unit to 220-ish voltage.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by Druid6900 View Post
    Yeah, I used to make the cables all the time by just taking and old AT keyboard cable and soldering an RCA jack to the wires that corresponded with pin 4 (data) and pin 5 (ground). Plugged right into the video output jack.

BTW, an ordinary AT style keyboard extension cable is great for using as a monitor cable extension on the model 1.
    My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just have to say thanks for this. My old Model 1 video cable disintergrated at the DIN end last week. I googled to get some repair advice and came across this post.

A few days ago, I sourced an old AT keyboard at work gathering dust under a lab bench and snipped off the cable. Before retiring tonight (and after cleaning up after Xmas festivities) I made a new video cable with the said AT lead and the advice above.

It works a treat!
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Not a problem. Glad it worked out for you and you can see what You're doing now
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Do I have to have a switchbox to hook my trs-80 to a TV or can I directly connect my cable to it?

Quote Originally Posted by tweetykiss View Post
    Do I have to have a switchbox to hook my trs-80 to a TV or can I directly connect my cable to it?
    Ooh. Necroposting.

Which TRS-80 are you talking about? The Model 1 uses composite video, and you need only build a trivial cable to go from the 5 pin DIN on the back to an RCA plug that you can hook to the composite video input on a modern TV.

The TRS-80 Color Computer, on the other hand, is a completely different animal. The Color Computer 1 and 2 have only RF modulators, so you need either a switchbox or an adapter to go from the RCA connector to the screw-on F connector on the TV's antenna input.

The Color Computer 3 has composite color video already - just plug it into a composite monitor.

-Ian