Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to Post (On topic vs Off Topic)

Blog Entries

Yeah that's true, and if I was doing a 486 Win95 build I'd probably post in there, but for general 95/98 I'd expect to be hanging out in Club Pentium or one of the general forums further down. I was also somewhat taking queues from this:

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Windows 95 and 98 are definitely off topic ...
    I ran Windows 95 on a 386 once though, but admittedly it was only once!
    WTB: IBM RT Ethernet and/or Graphics Adapters
    Twitter / YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    Yeah that's true, and if I was doing a 486 Win95 build I'd probably post in there, but for general 95/98 I'd expect to be hanging out in Club Pentium or one of the general forums further down. I was also somewhat taking queues from this:

I think the word you want is 'cues.'

Yes, this thread is ancient and has not been updated in many years. I don't think anybody expects us to go back and keep something like this up to date proactively. But now that it has been pointed out it should be updated.

In general, 32 bit operating systems are still not exactly what we call "vintage." But at least that particular software (Win 9x) is getting close to 20 years old now, not like it was when the thread was first started. The 386/486 and first generation Pentium sub-forums are appropriate places for the hardware. And I think if a Windows 95 question comes up in the software section nobody is going to get too bent out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    FWIW, my main Win 95 box years ago was a 386SX-20 with 5MB of RAM and two Rodime 70MB ST506-interface MFM hard drives, later updated to a Maxtor 690MB ESDI drive. I can't say I ran Win95 on it; 'walked Win 95 on it' is the better statement. It was definitely not mainstream. Win95 on a 486SX-20 was doable, though, especially with 8MB or more.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Blog Entries

I still have Win95 OSR2 installed on a 386/20 with a 9GB FH SCSI drive. It works and, with DOSLFN, I get FAT32 functions even in DOS CLI mode.

It's not fast, but that really depends on what you're doing. Web browsing? Not so much, but ftp, Win32 support, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    FWIW, my main Win 95 box years ago was a 386SX-20 with 5MB of RAM and two Rodime 70MB ST506-interface MFM hard drives, later updated to a Maxtor 690MB ESDI drive. I can't say I ran Win95 on it; 'walked Win 95 on it' is the better statement. It was definitely not mainstream. Win95 on a 486SX-20 was doable, though, especially with 8MB or more.
    Windows 95 is pretty light. It runs quickly on my 486/33 with 24 MB RAM

Of course 386/20 with 5 MB is a lot slower

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    I think the word you want is 'cues.'
    Thanks, yes it was, I don't think I'd ever actually written that phrase before.

If a "Windows 95/98/OS2 Warp" area was being considered I'd put a vote in. Many of us use them as tweeners, and they're the DOS PC of yesteryear for the younger generation of collectors. I don't consider them "vintage" but still feel they're part of what we do.
    WTB: IBM RT Ethernet and/or Graphics Adapters
    Twitter / YouTube

I think Windows 95 should be on topic. Heck, it's 22 years old.