Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Post (On topic vs Off Topic)

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Guys, I don't want to get into a long meta discussion here ...

OS/2 2.x is a 32 bit preemptive multi-tasking operating system. It was in it's prime in the early 90s. It's interesting, but not vintage.

Try to use some common sense when posting ... that's all we're asking for.
    Then by your logic discussion about the Amiga and its OS would be off-topic since it is also a 32-bit preemptive multi-tasking OS...

Cheers,

80sFreak

Go see the Amiga section. When you can get that OS to work on a later PC clone, then we can talk about if it is on or off topic here.

Mike, I think, by and large, that most of the regulars know where to post what and they are just yanking your chain.

The newbies might have some problems from time to time, so, we'll fall in line after we've had a bit of fun
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

**Set "emulate moderator" mode**

Jeebus guys, use common sense. Lets not be little kids about this trying every loop-hole and pointing out every defect on the guidlines. Yes, they are more like guidelines. If the O/S is older than 1993(ish), it is pretty much on-topic. Obviously Amiga O/S should be fine. By my understanding, OS/2 is a grey area and it should be mentioned minimally. Besides, surely there is A section appropriate for the Amiga...perhaps under PCs? Maybe even under "Commodore/Amiga?" That pretty much means if you are chattin about Amigas, use that section, unless you wanna sell/buy one.

--Ryan

EDIT: I started typing this before the 2 posts above me, so read it like it is there.
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies.
    Wanted: Somebody to buy alot of my stuff
    AT&T PC 6300 site

Go see the Amiga section. When you can get that OS to work on a later PC clone, then we can talk about if it is on or off topic here.
    One Word: WinUAE!

But there is also Amithlon and AmigaOS XL..

Cheers,

80sFreak

Another possible criteria - there are other sites more focused on OS/2, Windows, etc.
    And there are also sites more focused on the Commodore, Atari, TI, Radio Shack and pretty much every other vintage machine discussed on this site! Should we also get rid of those particular forums as well?

This is a general vintage computing discussion site that allows you to talk about all things vintage computer related - more for those who are interested in vintage computing in general(ish).. Meaning that while quite a bit is general, a lot of threads have become quite technical. (ie graduating more towards a focused site..)

Cheers,

80sFreak

Quote Originally Posted by 80sFreak View Post
    And there are also sites more focused on the Commodore, Atari, TI, Radio Shack and pretty much every other vintage machine discussed on this site! Should we also get rid of those particular forums as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman
    Try to use some common sense when posting ... that's all we're asking for.
    How many more times do you want to ride this carousel?

How many more times do you want to ride this carousel?
    I am not trying to.. I just disagree with you saying that OS/2 is not vintage. It was an exhibit at VCF east 3.0! --> http://www.vintage.org/2006/east/exhibit.php

I am also trying to provide examples of my points instead of just saying "it is vintage!", but this seems to be more going towards "the mod said so, and so it will be"

As for the Amiga OS, it was about the software technology, not about what class of x86 it ran on.

Cheers,

80sFreak

I'm really tired of splitting hairs here. I was trying to provide some guidelines to explain the split. Nobody ever said 'rules', just guidelines. I don't know why it takes two pages of response to explain that 16 bit stuff goes in one section, 32 bit goes in another, and generally it should be old and crusty.

I don't think that most people consider a 32 bit pre-emptive multitasking OS with threading support to be vintage. Do we need a poll? Should we have a separate area for an OS/2 vintage-vs-not vintage debate? Does anybody else want to weigh in? What exactly are we accomplishing by hashing this out again?

10. Default

By the time this one's decided, the Pentium 4 will be vintage :P.