Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro with a "Z80 WINIF ADAPTER"?

Default Kaypro with a "Z80 WINIF ADAPTER"?

OK, a test for the truly seasoned Kaypro collector...

So I cracked open this Kaypro 2 (not II) in my "pile" of Kaypros recently acquired. Inside there's a daughter board plugged into the Z80 socket labeled, "Z80 WINIF ADAPTER". If you look closely at the photo, it appears that it's plugged into yet another daughter board before reaching the motherboard. This second board seems to be labeled, "Z80 Bus Buffer", "Delphi Development". The Oracle (i.e. Google) doesn't seem to know what a "Z80 WINIF ADAPTER" is. In looking at it, there's nothing really interesting on the board except for some standard TTL chips and an 8T31N. Anybody have any knowledge of what this setup might be? I think the 8T31N is some sort of tri-state line driver:

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/preview/506572.html

Any information (documentation?) would be appreciated!
    Last edited by marmotking; November 14th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.

Where's the ribbon cable lead to?

T

Default Ribbon Cable

The ribbon cable just leads out the back of the machine to a Centronix style plug (but it's not a printer port, the plug is way too big).

I'm guessing this is some sort of generic interfacing board or something that exposes the z80 bus to some sort of external hardware which I don't have.
    Last edited by marmotking; November 14th, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

I looked in the Kaypro PROFILES magazines I have, and found nothing in the advertisers index (I have some 1983-1988 issues).

mebbe this is another $25,000 system like that nitwit on eBay?

I dunno - what's the board under the WinInf contain?

T

OH!

Make sure none of those puppies contain aftermarket ROM's.
    maybe you lucked into one we're looking for, like TurboROM that is NOT an '84 v3.4 TurboROM.

T

Default Roms

I will check for ROMs as I inspect these things.

A quick question. I have a CP/M 2.2 boot disk that boots my Kaypro II's just fine. I have 2 Kaypro 2's (i.e. not II's) and it doesn't seem to boot either one (says, "cannot read your disk" or something to that affect). It's possible both are broken, but I wanted to make sure that a Kaypro II boot disk would boot a 2. If I remember right the II boot disk didn't boot a 10 when I tried it.

The board underneath (i.e. between the motherboard and the WINIF):

So nothing earth shattering on it either. The two boards seem completely unrelated and even similar in purpose perhaps.
    Last edited by marmotking; November 14th, 2007 at 09:17 PM.

I don't think a II and a 2 are similar enough to share boot disks.
    my K10's (83 and 84) and K4-84 can all boot each others disks (2.2F/G/H) without issue.

Haven't tried the II, but I think it is a different, earlier mainboard.

OK, let's see what info I have squirreled away...

First was the Kaypro II, also known as the II/83:
    CPU: Z80, 2.5MHz
    Mainboard: 81-110 / 81-240
    ROM: 81-149C / 81-232
    FDD: 2 x SS/DD 5.25"
    CP/M Rev: 2.2F

Next came the Kaypro 2, or 2/84:
    CPU: Z80, 4.0MHz
    mainboard: 81-294
    ROM: 81-292A
    FDD: 2 x SS/DD 5.25"
    CP/M Rev: 2.2G

Next came the Kaypro NEW 2 (yeah, go figure!)
    CPU: Z80, 4.0 MHz
    Mainboard: 81-294
    ROM: 81-478A (Universal ROM)
    FDD: 2 x SS/DD 5.25" (I THINK)
    CP/M Rev: 2.2u1

Kaypro 2x Specs:
    CPU: Z80, 4.0MHz
    Mainboard: 81-294
    ROM: 81-292A
    FDD: 2 x DS/DD
    CP/M Rev: 2.2G

So, basically, diff between later 2's (2/84 and "New 2") and 2x is that the Kaypro 2x had DS/DD FDD's. Not sure on drives of "New 2," but might've been DS/DD, considering it had 2.2u1, meaning it was a much later unit, corresponding to the CP/M rev.

So, you COULD put DS/DD floppies in a 2/84, and they SHOULD work, seeing as how it was the SAME mainboard as the 2x, and same ROM as the 2x. I do NOT think the ORIGINAL mainboard/ROM II/83 could support DS/DD - you needed a mainboard+ROM swap to do that, and effectively turned it into either a 2x or a 4/84, depending on the mainboard that was swapped in.

Now I have notes saying that a II *MIGHT* have come with an 81-184 mainboard, and 81-242 ROM, but I think this was near-the-end parts-bin-diving, as this would've basically been a 4/84 motherboard in a II chassis, with SS/DD drives. The 81-184/81-185 mainboards are the cool ones like in the 4/84, that have power+HD+Floppy on the right side of the mainboard (looking at the front of the chassis) and may or may not have the HD header soldered in. In the right rear corner, there might be installed the modem/clock hardware, and you'd know by the transformer there, and by the battery soldered on the mainboard behind the floppy controller.

Whew!

Hope that helps some!

Incidentally, there are a few hacks to bump the mainboard RAM to 256KB, and use everything over 64K as a RAMDisk - I haven't done any yet, but plan to! There was also a 6MHz hack floating around for the 2.5MHz II/83, as well, which MIGHT be what you saw on something with a switch. One of my machines, also has a switch on the back-panel, and the wires lead to one of the UART's on the mainboard, and I have yet to figure out what it does!

Incidentally, if you have a 10/83, mainboard 81-180, with a boot rom that is *NOT* an 81-302, I'd be interested in talking to you about it. Those were obsoleted by some changes in the HD subsystem, and most aftermarket ROMs did *NOT* work in it. I need one of those machines to experiment with.

Tony
    Last edited by Sharkonwheels; November 14th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.

Default ROM version soup...

Wow, I had no idea that there were so many versions of motherboards and ROMs in these critters. Perhaps I'll catalog everything I have as I go through it. It seems that the "II" and the "2" don't share boot disks. I checked on the Dave's Old Computer's site for "2" boot disks. There aren't any there. Does anyone have a source for these? I'd be happy to put them on a web server if someone has images or original disks they could send me that I could image.

I'll be sure to look for a 10/83 board and boot ROM that you're seeking.

Blog Entries

A bootdisk for the 10(84?) or 1 should work in the 2 & 2X, as I believe they all use the 'Universal' ROM. Just be sure the disk is single-sided, just in case.

Just a wild guess, but could the 'WINF' have something to do with a WINchester drive? The external cable sure makes it look possible.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Oh Terry, you beat me to the Winchester Interface thing!

However it does seem a little strange sticking a z80 CPU out on a limb like that, AAH yes.... it plugs into the main cpu socket. and the cpu then plugs into the daughter board, just to steal the buses. I'm sure that the other little daughter board is just what it says it is, a Z80 bus buffer.

I'd forgotten about doing that!
    "Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone" (BANG )