Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: IBM PC XT 5160 BIOS versions

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    All models of the XT use the same basic board. You can upgrade from a 11/08/82 to a 05/09/86 BIOS merely by replacing the ROMS/EPROMS. This would suggest that the U19 ROM/EPROM is actually a 32K chip with only 8K used. Otherwise, how does the board deal with the two extra address lines when an 8K chip is installed?
    Mine, 62X0853.U19, has about a 16K hole in it. Starts about 1D38 and ends at 5FFF.

    It also contains the string 62X0854 at the beginning.

    Bill

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    Otherwise, how does the board deal with the two extra address lines when an 8K chip is installed?
    The 8Kb of the 8K EPROM will repeat 4 times through the 32Kb a 32k EPROM would appear in. Half of the BIOS (early revision) does this, and you can easily see it in Debug; Just type:

    Code:
    D F000:0000
    D F000:2000
    D F000:4000
    D F000:6000
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

  3. #13

    Default

    hello I have an original IBM XT board and when it boots it gives an 601 floppy error because I have not put an original floppy controller. I have read that on other versions of bios this does not happen so I would like to reprogram the bios and basic chips.
    are there any bin/hex/rom files for these so I can reprogram my motherboard?

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neazoi View Post
    hello I have an original IBM XT board and when it boots it gives an 601 floppy error because I have not put an original floppy controller. I have read that on other versions of bios this does not happen so I would like to reprogram the bios and basic chips.
    are there any bin/hex/rom files for these so I can reprogram my motherboard?
    Gosh! I tried to read the bios and basic chips using my willem eprom reader and I kept a backup file.
    Now I re-insert the original chips on the motherboard and it does not boot! what should I do???

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neazoi View Post
    hello I have an original IBM XT board and when it boots it gives an 601 floppy error because I have not put an original floppy controller. I have read that on other versions of bios this does not happen so I would like to reprogram the bios and basic chips.
    That is a known issue for the IBM AT (IBM 5170). Where did you read that it happens on the IBM XT (IBM 5160) ?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neazoi View Post
    Gosh! I tried to read the bios and basic chips using my willem eprom reader and I kept a backup file.
    Now I re-insert the original chips on the motherboard and it does not boot! what should I do???
    Some possibilities:
    * You've inserted the ROMs in the wrong orientation/direction.
    * You've put the U19 ROM into the U18 socket, and the U18 ROM into the U19 socket.
    * Whilst inserting the ROMs, one or more pins have become bent.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neazoi View Post
    Gosh! I tried to read the bios and basic chips using my willem eprom reader and I kept a backup file.
    Now I re-insert the original chips on the motherboard and it does not boot! what should I do???
    I read the bios chip of one vga card and my willem corrupted the EPROM! The contents of the backup file and the eprom after reading it were different. I flashed the backup file to a 27C512 eprom and the vga card worked again.

    Don't trust the willem readers, they are not the most reliable!

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nestor View Post
    I read the bios chip of one vga card and my willem corrupted the EPROM! The contents of the backup file and the eprom after reading it were different. I flashed the backup file to a 27C512 eprom and the vga card worked again.

    Don't trust the willem readers, they are not the most reliable!
    When it comes to BIOS files, you can just dump them using simple software routines.

    When I dump other ROM chips, I allways use a card with a BIOS-extension ROM socket on it. For general 27xxx chips, I use some ethernet card, and for the more uncommon 8KB chips used in the early PC's, I use the ROM socket on the IBM HDD controller.
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

  9. #19

    Default

    Hi.

    I think "5000026" (08/16/82) ROM version.
    Before this, I've checked dumped of other IBM PC 5150 (Revision 3, 10/27/1982) and IBM PS/2 Model 25 (Revision 1, 06/26/87)

    I found that ROM of IBM PC 5150 Revison 3 exists as 2 kinds. (One is copyrighted 1981, another is 1982)
    Also ROM of IBM PS/2 Model 25 Revision 1 exists at least 2 kinds. (One is 00F2092, another is 00F2122)

    So I'm sure "5000026" ROM is not fake. (At least this must be prototype or beta, not for retail)
    But it is not only verified if this ROM is exist or not.
    I've checked checksum of 8KB.
    Checksum is correct as 00h.

    IBM should replace ROM chip of "5000026" with "1501522", but the reason is unknown.

    The more interesting thing is that BIOS data of IBM XEBEC HDC (5000059) is also same "08/16/1982"
    Last edited by fs5500; February 13th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

  10. #20

    Default

    If I can get a PC/XT 256-640K system board that on the backside says "YB 620-6181655-01 94V-0 Rev 1 date on bio chips is 1981,85", would that board have the latest 4/86 BIOS that supports the 101 keyboards, and if not, can the BIOS be upgraded/flashed using a diskette?

    Regards,
    Mike

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •