Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro 2'84 disks?

Default Kaypro 2'84 disks?

Hello all. I just acquired a Kaypro 2'84 in beautiful condition, and was even able to track down schematics of it, but I am currently without software for it. Does anyone have any disks for it they might be willing to part with? I'm in NYC. I'm primarily looking for:
    1) A CP/M disk, so I can at least boot the thing
    2) Some way of programming it. BASIC would be fine, but a C compiler (or even assembler) or something similar would be preferred.
    3) A program like Zmodem (I think that's what its called) so I could transfer files via null modem from my normal desktop.

Also, does anyone know if my machine would recognize 360kb 5.25" floppy drives? The rom is an 81-292.

From what info I have, the 2-84 and the 2x are very similar, with the main difference being the 2-84 has SS/DD drives, and the 2X has DS/DD drives. All else looks the same, meaning you should be able to swap out the drives for DS/DD without issue. You will, of course, at that point basically have a 2x.

If you look in the CP/M section, you should find a Kaypro thread I posted in, which went into more detail about the differences.

As to the CP/M disks, the Kaypros were much more forgiving in sharing the boot disks between them - you should be able to boot 2/2x/4/10 boot disks on your machine

T

Are all drives basically identical? i.e. Will a random 360kb floppy off of ebay work just as well?

Also, does anyone have any of the aforementioned boot disks that they would be willing to copy and send me? =)

Blog Entries

Support for DS drives must be included in BIOS, and by the correct bootROM. Generally, the 2-84 will not have that support, so without a ROM upgrade, you're pretty much stuck with SS drives. If you can obtain a ROM from a 2X, it should work in your mainboard and allow for DS drive operation (after booting from the 2X bootdisk).

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Okay, scratch that for now then. Anyone have straight Kaypro 2'84 disks (or the capacity to make them)?

To answer your question about using a 360K disk, yes, I believe it should work. With a SS drive, you can only use on side, and thus only half of it's size(180K) it is better than nothing. It is my understanding that(maybe with a mod or two) you can flip the disk and use the other side. "Flippydisks" is what I call them.

--Ryan
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies.
    Wanted: Somebody to buy alot of my stuff
    AT&T PC 6300 site

Blog Entries

Yes, my Kaypro II has an IBM-badged DSDD drive in it, since it was the only thing I could lay my hands on at the time, but it only sees one side (which is set in ROM & BIOS).

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

For other kaypro fans out there, the "KayPLUS" ROM is now available for free over the internet: http://microcodeconsulting.com/z80/kayplus.htm

It claims to have support for a wide variety of floppy drives, including 3.5" drives and higher capacity drives of both sizes.

Does anyone know if I would be able to write a 193 kB floppy drive by plugging my SS/DD floppy into a normal PC running dos (~newish P4 dell machine), and using some sort of disk imaging software?

Terry, according to stuff out, and the Kaypro Tech Ref, I would disagree.
    You are probably referring to the II, the original Kaypro. Cfenton mentions a 2/84, with an 81-292 ROM, which is the same as a 2x as well.

Kaypro Tech Red shows the 2/84 and 2x as both using the 81-292A rom (Kaypro 1484-D, Page 4-1), and both using the 81-294 mainboard (Kaypro 1484-d page 3-2). The only difference noted on page 3-2 of the tech ref, is the disk storage capacity.

Terry - Keep in mind, there *IS* a difference between a II and a 2/84.
    For THAT matter, remember there is a II, a "2/84", and later a model known as a "New 2" which had the same 81-294 mainboard, and the nasty 81-478A Universal ROM. The 81-294+81-478A was also the basis for the Kaypro 1, which is just a 2x with a Universal ROM.

Revisions of II (known as II/83 also) documented:
    81-110 mainboard, 81-149 ROM
    81-184 mainboard, 81-242 ROM
    81-240 mainboard, 81-242 ROM

Those above are flat II's, and do not support DS/DD without hacking.

If you get 2x, 2/84, 1, or even 10 floppies (my 4/84 with 81-292 ROM boots off of K10 2.2G and H media) it should work fine in DS/DD.

I think, with DS/DD drives installed in CFenton's 2/84, and booting DS/DD media from a 2x,4/84,or K10 it would boot up and show DS/DD capacities.

I would suggest CFenton put together an older WinTel system, with a 360K DS/DD drive, to download and create disks for the Kaypro.
    The disk images are out there, and available for downloading from MANY sources. If you need pointers, just ask.

UPDATE: I doubt your Dell would have support for 5.25" floppy drives in it's BIOS.
    Find a cheap p1/P2/P3, and add a 5.25" DS/DD which will also image out SS/DD disks.

T
    Last edited by Sharkonwheels; January 24th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.

I was aware that different Kaypros had different BIOS', Was SS or DS the only issues with the various models. I have a 2x and a II. I was sent some bootdisks by Don after I had supplied him with the # on the chip he described me. I acquired another one later and can't remember which one the disk(s) were for. Was it only a question of SS or DS FDs?

I also have a complete set of Pied Piper Perfect Software. Does that mean it will only work on certain Kaypro models ? As a major company one would assume they'd work with all Kaypros. They have notched disks. I assume they're double-sided. [If they haven't succumbed to bit-rot as I discovered with my DOS DR Gem set? :^{ ]

Lawrence
    Economics isn't a real science. It's an evil art designed for the rich.