• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thinking about attending my first VCF East! (Newb Alert!)

LadySephiroth

I’ve been to Kansasfest (and yes people who know me I’m going back!) but i also hear great thigns about VCF. East is the best one for me so I’m looking into it — any recommendations on hotels, food, what to bring, what to expect? Any idea when the date is so I can put in for time off? Do things also happen unplanned in the evenings? Hotspots (no not the WiFi kind, the people getting together kind) to know of?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome. You can visit past event pages here on vcfed.org. Once we get organized we'll have all the info you'd need to answer these and questions you have not yet thought of. We usually have a group dinner at least one of the two main event nights, and there is a lot to do in the Asbury Park area, which is nearby. InfoAge hosts the event and there is a computer museum plus other museums in the complex. On Fridays we have tech sessions and other types of talks, it's a three day event. The exhibits are Sat/Sunday, as are the keynote speaker and less-technical lectures. I am just writing this off the top of my head. Evan will probably read this and give a more formal response.
Bill

For hotels, Amy and I always stay at the Red Roof Inn in Tinton Falls. Primarily because they allow pets, and we sometimes bring our dog. It's clean, safe, and reasonably priced.

I know some people like it, but my personal recommendation is to avoid the Motel 38. They're very cheap, but equally sketchy. IIRC someone on the list said they noticed bedbug-esque critter debris there the last time they stayed.

There's plenty of food in the area, and sometimes there's food at the event. I believe there was a CS department doing a cookout the last two years. For 2017 I was mostly over in the IXR hackerspace doing an XT-IDE workshop and Apple II interface hacking, so I was away from the main exhibit area most of the time.

Hi LS - Evan here, I was at Kfest this summer for the first time and had a blast! VCF events are different but equally awesome. As Bill/Glitch said, there are classes on the first day and then the main show (exhibit halls, consignment, museum open) on the weekend. We have not yet announced the specific dates for next year's VCF East (look for that really soon!). However the lodging info from the previous event remains accurate: http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-east/vcf-east-lodging/ .... there is food available for sale every day, there's always a dinner group or two, and there are often after parties or excursions to the local arcade. Of course there is always a bunch of Apple as part of the show (including TWO original Apple 1s last year). Many of those Kfest people can vouch for the show's awesomeness -- Ian P., Henry, Ken, Andy, etc.

Hello Folks,

A few weeks ago I checked price and availability at the Red Roof Inn Tinton Falls. They had rooms available and quoted a rate. Last week I made reservations for this year's VCF East event. The difference in price over a few weeks time was $10 per night. The Red Roof Tinton Falls is a few miles up the road from the InfoAge Science Center but I decided to stay there because it is easy to get to and I will try to meet with my cousin who lives nearby.

Best regards, Ron K

Back