• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cambridge UK: Retro computing event has been announced

Great news.

I've been to this event for the last couple of years, once as an exhibitor, once as a visitor and had a great time both years.

One for the diary.

Cheers,

Andy.

Excellent! Had a lot of fun exhibiting at this event in in the previous two years and I'm already working on my display for this year :)

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave...

Me to - Planning on taking 3 x Newbear 77/68s, amongst other things - Are you bringing yours ?

Chris

I am planning to go down for Saturday 7th as a day visitor though.

Too much work on at the moment to even think about taking anything with me...

Dave

Nope, I'm the one with the War Games system. Although, I might have to change plans as the IMSAI is playing up and I'm not sure if I'm going to have time to get it working before the event :(

I'll also be taking along my Heathkit H8 system.

Cheers,
Dave

I'm planning on taking:-

My brother, Dave, as it seems no stand is complete without a `Dave` ... (and somebody has to keep the 77-68s running :)

3 x Newbear 77-68 Motorola 6800 based kit computers circa 1977 ( took 2 last year )

PiDP-8/I : Replica PDP/I (as taken last year)

PiPDP-11 : Replica PDP11/70, with Wyse-85 terminal

Olivetti M20-ST - 16.bit desktop computer with Zilog Z8001 CPU released in 1982 (took last year)
Olivetti M20-D - as above, only with one floppy and an 11MB hard disk ( belongs to museum, but I've been fiddling with it )

Chris.C

Look forward to seeing the Newbears again. Not bringing mine this year as I've still not got round to getting the keyboard working.

I've also given up with the IMSAI for now. Not going to get the time to sort out issues with the video & keyboard so I'm resorting to plan B and plan on taking...

Altair 8800 + Model 33 Teletype

Heathkit H8 + H19

GRiDCase 3 + GRiDCase 1520

It should be a good event and looks like there are more people exhibiting this year :)

Cheers,
Dave

Looks a nice bunch of stuff... Always good to see a proper working ASR and smell that oil :)

Pity about the Newbear - that would have given us 4 working ones at the show... but 3 is probably more than enough !

See you at the show
Chris

So - looking forward to meeting some of you on Sunday.
I 'have' to bring my wife with me - is there a back door I can sneak anything I might end up buying to the boot of my car ?

Excellent! See you there! I've just uncovered the manuals for the DRI floppy drives. Will bring them along for you :)

Cheers,
Dave

Well I enjoyed the couple of hours I spent at the event today - good to put a few faces to names from the forum too.
Thanks for the drive manuals Dave (Moonferret) - loved your Altair 8800 and Teletype setup.

Some amazing exhibits at the centre and well worth the four hour round trip drive to get there - I know others had much longer journeys.

I managed to pickup an RC2014 Pro system from Spencer Owen and had a good chat with Marcel van Kervinck about the Gigatron I still have not managed to get around to building yet.

What a nice weekend nice to meet new folks.. As usual the demo effect hit and the Roland refused to draw the Space Shuttle picture until I worked out there was a bent pin in DEC MMJ to DB25 adaptor....

... didn't really have much time to look round the museum properly.... Lots of good stuff there... Must pay another visit but at a 3h30m drive its a real expedition...

Ah Dave - I forgot to come and talk to you about your Roland plotter !
I spent rather a lot of time opposite you yesterday talking to Jeremy about his HP85 and GPIB connected plotter setup....

Maybe next time - when you get it working again !

Back