• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Ironey

8008guy

Veteran Member
So last night I tried to login to the "Vintage" computer forum, this site, using my "Vintage" iPad (IOS 9.3.5.) and the login button wont work.... It's funny how we are here to discuss anything about "Vintage" computers, yet unable to access the forum without using a modern computer. I guess my goal of making a post with my PDP11 is now unobtainable...

Good work guys.

len

I was not able to access this site from my 2003 iMac either, when with the previous site it seemed to work well enough. There really is an irony in this.

Follow up question to the administrators... Are there others having issues as well? Are there any comparability settings in the software that will allow it to work with older devices?

len

I'm guessing the spell checker isn't working, as "Ironey" is misspelled. ;-0

Look, let's be honest - nobody is going to make use of this site from a PDP-11 or an Apple ][c. Even the older version of vBulletin would have been a heavy lift, and with the current reliance on Javascript it is not feasible. But most people are using reasonably modern machines to access this site, not vintage machines.

I'm not sure why your login button isn't working, but I suspect it is a local problem - iOS 9.3.5 was released in 2016, so it's not that old. Try clearing your vcfed cookies and the cache and debugging it like it is a local problem. I'll fire up an old Windows XP virtual machine to see how far back one can go. I will also look for compatibility settings.

(Typed on a 2014 vintage IBM Thinkpad running Windows 10.)

I get on here from my various Versa 486s using Links or RetroZilla from time to time - granted, RZ is heavily tweaked and modded with modern add-ons and Noscript so only base-functionality is enabled along side TLS 1.2 and modern SSL functions. Maybe I'll post from there later.

Windows XP with an ancient copy of Chrome was not happy with the login process. The Javascript that handles the login button was causing a syntax error, so I suspect vBulletin is doing something "new enough" that a 7 year old copy of Chrome can't handle. I did some mild hacking at the Javascript but I couldn't get around it.

Yes, I agree that a basic FORM specifying a POST operation should not be broken. Here we are though ... we don't have a staff to write our own software so we have to use off-the-shelf software, and off-the-shelf software needs to be upgraded or it bit rots. Unless somebody has deep pockets and help us pay to fix things like this or write our own, this is the way it is going to be.

Nope, no joy. I cleared everything and rebooted my iPad. I can fill in the login fields, but the button is still not clickable.

Bummer, the iPad is what I typically use to read and post.

One step forward, five steps back.

I would just like to comment, if you want some fun tech discussion, go over to grc.com and scope out Steve Gibson's classic newsgroups over there; you'll need a real newsgroup reader to post on.

Oh well, looks like I have no good options from my iPad. That's my primary access. Guess I won't be posting much unless it gets fixed.

enjoy

Goodness me. That seems to be a bit of a cop out.

This EeeBox from 2008runs this site fine. As does a lot of other older hardware of mine.
IIs a software is at your end.

Last edited:
When I attempted to use my 12 inch iPad Pro (iOS 14.4) to access the site, there wasn't even a login option. Nor were there any forums below the 'Forums' heading on the home page.

Not that I recall ever using my iPad for this site, so it doesn't really matter to me as such, but it appears not to be viable.

"Sounding more like a Apple issue than anything else."

(Sorry, I don't appear to have a button to 'reply' or 'quote' either!)

Yes, probably so, though actually not the point since even if it is the case, it still seems to preclude the use of all affected products for all affected users. While I can understand the need to upgrade forum software for security reasons and 'functionality', it really ought not to result in modern equipment with pretty standards-compliant browsers having such a broad problem with access.

Besides, assuming that the site admins are looking to resolve problems users are having, it seems reasonable to believe that it might help to report problems so they are aware of them.

Back