• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What to put on a remotely accessible DOS machine

NeXT

Veteran Member
This is more of a challenge than anything. I spent the last few months building up and assembling some furniture to hide a computer in a boiler room and dub it the BoilerPC.

CGS_10663.JPG

Can't see it? Of course you can't. It's hidden in the far back dark corner behind the asbestos clad boilers, pumps and plumbing. Perfect place to build a nook. ;)

CGS_10659.JPG

CGS_10660.JPG

The system is setup with MS-DOS 6.22, Carbon Copy plus for remote access and a Motorola 28.8 modem plugged into and provisioned on a PBX in the building. I mean if you want to come down here and work at the machine you can but as long as you know the extension number you can simply dial in from anywhere. I preloaded it with a variety of programming tools and compilers from Borland and Microsoft but at that point I'm out of ideas what else I should install besides Microsoft Works.

I preloaded it with a variety of programming tools and compilers from Borland and Microsoft but at that point I'm out of ideas what else I should install besides Microsoft Works.
Dungeons & Dragons ?

Something that contains lots of boilerplate code ?

I like this. A dark, damp basement corner seems like the perfect place for us vintage computing curmudgeons to hide from the world and play with our toys!

Very cool setup you have there, reminiscent of the Fallout series... also a great way to disguise the noise of the machine, nobody would ever notice it down there!

How about adding a CD-ROM drive and loading it up with (part of) the Simtel MS-DOS archive? Or perhaps get one of the BBS file collection discs from cd.textfiles.com and then turn the machine into a real BBS?

Back