• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cleaning out computers

Tedm

Hello,
I am looking for assistance or resources. We are moving my dad to assisted living and cleaning out his garage he has a number of vintage/old computers. I grew up with some of them others he collected later. Unfortunately it is not feasible for me to take them all and move them across country for Marin to Louisiana and I am not entirely sure what is in there. i am flying down to go through them. Does anyone have a good resource or resources that I can go through these and see what they are and if they are sellable to help with expenses? I wish i could keep them and show them all to my kids. Appreciate any help.

Probably the best plan is indicate where they are located and then take/post some pictures of them. Hopefully someone around here can give you some ballpark numbers on their value.

That is my current plan I am heading out there again in a couple weeks. I just didn't know where to begin or if they even work.

Just as Alan stated already.... we dont know where you live. So for randoms sake I will assume you live in Labrador, Canada. Ask around who on the forum is near Labrador as its always good to deal with people face to face.......

If Marin means Marin county California, there are a number of members around San Francisco.

It is in Marin County. San Anselmo to be specific. When I get back into town in a couple weeks I will take a bunch of pictures and post them on here.

Ok I have been at my dad's house going through everything. I am not sure on the condition of these computers since they have been in a garage for who knows how long. I know they worked at one point my dad used to set these up in an exhibit in the local town hall but that was a long time ago. We got rid of a couple that were totally ruined. I have put a link in here for you all to look at maybe help with some direction to get rid of some of these. What I do know is the Altair 8800 has been in the house my dad says all it needs is a new and I do have a box with a couple Commodore 64s and other pieces to them. Also one thing I am not familiar with there is a box labeled S100 boards not sure what it is. Let me know if the link isn't working it is an album of a bunch of the systems.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RMffL4pNmxJ5NAPK6

Is shipping possible by any chance? I'm not sure what you would want for the Altair and Macintosh SE/30 but I'd love to have those in my collection.

An Altair is way too rich for my blood, but I'm curious what's in the box of S100 boards. (Those would go with potentially either the Altair or the CompuPro.)

The long and short of it is even in "junk" condition at least most of what you pictured would be worth something even if it's dead, and the SF Bay Area isn't lacking in nerds that would be willing to take them off your hands even if they're in unknown condition. The real prize is the Altair; that could easily be worth at eBay prices somewhere north of the $3,000 mark. (The CompuPro and the other S100 might make some money too, although it's going to be way more hit and miss and if you're going to sell it piecemeal you'll need to know what you have.) I would venture the going rate for most of rest of the stuff (Kapros, Osbornes, NorthStar Advantage) are in the $100-$400-ish ballpark apiece depending on condition. (Again, "eBay Pricing". Someone taking it off your hands locally in unknown/untested condition is going to affect that accordingly.)

Marin is a bit of a drive and my collection is pretty full at the moment but I'd probably be mildly interested in one of the Kaypros. (The Northstar Advantage is really cool and I hope it finds a good home, but I don't think I have room for it.)

Sorry for the delay it has been crazy going through all the stuff my dad has. 3 days just on the garage. Looking at the box of S100 cards there are about 19 of them some in static bags some are not. I would like pick up since I am leaving Monday morning otherwise i have to have my brother in law or sister handle shipping. But we may be able to work it out. We are going to try and have a garage sale tomorrow since we have so many niche antique things so I do not expect much out of it.

Rad Racer if you can tell me what you are willing pay if I can't get someone locally. I will talk with my sister.

I wish I could take these back to Louisiana with me so I can spend the time checking them and selling them but not really feasible. We are probably going to go through an estate sales place in the end just due to time constraints.

Also this was on top of the Altair an anyone tell me what it is. It looks like it plugs into the back of it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZBzQjToQqTivKK2Y9

It looks like a linear power supply. S100 machines are infamous for them. Don't try just plugging it in without some expert consultation, those giant capacitors can need some tender loving rejuvenation if they've been sitting for a long time.

Yeah i didn't plan on turning it on. If I don't know enough about it I don't mess with it. I know things can go bad if not taken care of properly or sitting for too long.

I wish I could take these back to Louisiana with me so I can spend the time checking them and selling them but not really feasible. We are probably going to go through an estate sales place in the end just due to time constraints.

Honestly I think you're probably making the right choice, unless someone on this forum who was relatively local were willing to step up right now and make you a mutually agreeable lump-sum offer for the whole mess. Going with an estate seller is probably going to cost you a lot after commission fees and percentages, but I can't say exactly what that percentage is so I can't say what a fair offer would be, especially with condition as unknown as it is for all this stuff. If I had room in the garage for it all, a truck to haul it, and a lot more free time I might bid a couple thousand bucks for the lot sight unseen between the Altair and the rest of the S100 stuff, but I have none of those things.

Back