• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for a book about Locomotive BASIC 2

kuro68k

Experienced Member
Back in the late 80s/early 90s I had a book about Locomotive BASIC 2 for the Amstrad PC1512. It contained a particular program listing that drew concentric circles that ended up looking like ripples on a pond.

I can't remember the name now. It's definitely not "Using Locomotive BASIC 2 on the Amstrad PC1512" by Robert Ransom. I have that book and will scan it in due course.

Anyone know what book this is?

I have this book! It's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-BASI.../dp/0434910783 . The ripples effect is "Functional Ellipses".

Wow, that's amazing, I didn't expect that kind of rapid response! I ordered a copy off eBay. Thank you so much!

I am going to start scanning the other one and will do this one too. No easy task without destroying the book though. I tried my flatbed but the results were less than what I was hoping for. Could remove the pages from the spine and scan them that way, but of course the book itself is ruined.

Flipping through it this morning gave me a strong sense of nostalgia. It's probably 30 years since I last looked at it! One of the games, "Under Pressure", is remarkably gruesome! And I had forgotten that (despite the word "Simple" in the title) there is actually a spreadsheet, database program and wordprocessor in the last section of programs! I think Rotation and Chameleon were more fun to play with, though.

Yeah I remember it was quite advanced. I borrowed it from the library and typed in most of the programs.

Years later I went to go check the disks and found that my brother had smashed the machine up for some art project and thrown all the disks away!

​​​​

There was a sequel, "Advanced Basic 2 Programs". It had rudimentary CAD software (a room planner), and an AI for playing noughts and crosses. I remember finding it underwhelming relative to the first one. There seems to be very little information about it online. Unfortunately I can't find my copy - I probably leant it to someone at some point and forgot about it. I do still have copies of the programs I typed in from it, though. Probably without the REM statements.

Yes, I can't find any information on that book either.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to build/buy a proper book scanner. They look like they are more work, you have to manually turn each page and then take a photo. But the book survives, and now I'm not keen on unbinding these books just to scan them.

I managed to get hold of Advanced BASIC2 Programs on the Amstrad PC. I'll scan it in due course.

Does anyone have the disk to go with it? I'd send them £7 as requested in the back of the book, but I have a feeling they may not have any left!

Back