• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Acquired NEC APC / Software Collection - Help!

IseeanAPC

Good day all from hot & sunny Aus,

I'm a hobbyist collector, who enjoys refurbishing & enjoying PCs & Micros from the early '80s until about 2000. Have completed some projects with the help of Vogons & Reddit, as I am only intermediate at soldering and the like.

I have acquired an NEC APC. This seemed like the appropriate place to explore it with the community. I am a little overwhelmed by the quality of the hardware & software included and would like to ensure it is appropriately dealt with. It appears to have very little damage. And gigantic 8+ inch disks!

I have not yet opened it up. Whilst the previous owner believed it was bootable, I am not game to do so yet. Is there anything that I should keep an eye out for? Is there a service manual to assist me in disassembly & capacitor replacement, so I don't do any damage? Is there any software included that has not been archived? How could I possibly achieve this, if so?

Please find below some photos.

Cheers all

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Depends on how they were stored. If in someone's damp cellar, I'd bake them before reading. Otherwise, image them with IMD (should work fine with these) on a PC with 8" drive installed.

I don't know if any of your titles haven't been imaged by someone else, however.

be very careful with the case, particularly the top above the CRT
the plastic is brittle and if you're not careful you'll punch a hole in the top
don't ask me how I know this

there is emulation support for the APC in MAME

Depends on how they were stored. If in someone's damp cellar, I'd bake them before reading. Otherwise, image them with IMD (should work fine with these) on a PC with 8" drive installed.

I don't know if any of your titles haven't been imaged by someone else, however.

Thank you. It appears as if they have been stored in a dry environment, there is very little dirt, dust and grime attached to them. I will post on other forums as well to see if any enthusiasts have the equipment required to image, as an 8" floppy in a PC is not something I have, & looking online, the price for an 8" drive is excessive.

Well, your NEC APC certainly "appears" to be in good condition, much better than the one I used to have
https://www.vcfed.org/forum/forum/ge...sonal-computer

For other APC documentation and software take a look at bitsavers:
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/nec/APC/
http://bitsavers.org/bits/NEC/APC/

Unfortunate condition. Thanks for the software archive! Looking through this, it appears I may have titles that aren't there.

be very careful with the case, particularly the top above the CRT
the plastic is brittle and if you're not careful you'll punch a hole in the top
don't ask me how I know this

there is emulation support for the APC in MAME

Thank you. I plan on being exceedingly careful. Starting to feel as if it may be a job for someone much more experienced than I.

Back