Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Across the board is the vintage computer enthusiasm and Forum interest waning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Across the board is the vintage computer enthusiasm and Forum interest waning?

I consider Vcfed.org my main forum posting ground although I am a member of many other boards.

This could be me but it seems the enthusiasm, traffic, and usage across the board in regards to vintage computing seems to be waning. This is of course my observation alone. I just wanted to get other users take on this.

Is vintage computing fever climaxing in general? With the Pandemic I always assumed it would be at a height we havent seen before but thats clearly not the case. Has this "hobby" started to revert back to the die-hard fans?

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
    I consider Vcfed.org my main forum posting ground although I am a member of many other boards.

This could be me but it seems the enthusiasm, traffic, and usage across the board in regards to vintage computing seems to be waning. This is of course my observation alone. I just wanted to get other users take on this.

Is vintage computing fever climaxing in general? With the Pandemic I always assumed it would be at a height we havent seen before but thats clearly not the case. Has this "hobby" started to revert back to the die-hard fans?
    You aren't alone in your observations. Interest does seem to be dwindling and I think the Covid thing has something to do with it, but this platform has people shying away. A good gauge to the state of the vintage hobby is the eBay prices.

Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Orange View Post

You aren't alone in your observations. Interest does seem to be dwindling and I think the Covid thing has something to do with it, but this platform has people shying away. A good gauge to the state of the vintage hobby is the eBay prices.
      Yeah, The site has been inaccessible to me for minutes at time all morning long. I think eBay prices will remain high even after prices drop across the board (if such thing could or would happen) just because of stupid sellers.

Its a shame really. I will remain in this because I love it. But I guess its been a passing fad to some individuals in the past few years. Maybe thats the case for folks who didnt have nostalgia for those items at an early age. Its hard to care about an apple II if your first computer was a pentium 3 Dell...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Orange View Post
        this platform has people shying away.
        The current UX here is horrible, but we all know that.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Kossow View Post

The current UX here is horrible, but we all know that.
          You all know I am in complete agreement but as I stated in the first thread it seems interest and participation across the whole board is way down. Not just here. I meant EVERYWHERE.
          Last edited by VERAULT; October 22, 2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

From my observation, not the interest is waning but the way people talk about it changed. Most communities switched to Discord. A trend I personally hate very much.

Comment

Could very well be the case. But Forums have been around for decades and really are the best way to have people build up a reputation and contribute. Rather than the new style of anonymous crap that leads more often than not to all the posts being " have you tried another cable?" "You should recap it."
              Same with Facebook. I guess I give older folks too much credit. They seem to follow the trends of younger people like stupid sheep these days. Have your guys heard what kind of music they play at weddings now a days? And I'm talking about couples getting married in their 30's and 40's...

If I haven't said it before... I'm done.. I'm just done........

Comment

That's why I hate the trend of using Discord and the like. It's a "quick and dirty" way to talk. Stuff you post disappears quickly, you can hardly build up a database of knowledge, and you can post every shit. But that's what people like to use these days. Nothing can beat a forum when it comes to preserve knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
                  Nothing can beat a MAILING LIST WITH A ZIPPED MONTHY ARCHIVE LIKE classiccmp.org when it comes to preserve knowledge.
                  There, fixed it for you.
                  I don't see a lot of people making copies of forum databases. The rot of old links here is a demonstration that this comms method isn't perfect either.

Comment

There was a popular vintage computing group on Facebook. I say was because it got overrun with bots and spammers, and the owner of the group refused to do anything about it, causing two of the moderators to resign in protest.

And sky-high eBay prices may be causing everyone except a small group of wealthy collectors to shy away from the hobby, as they are finding it prohibitively expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Kossow View Post
                      I don't see a lot of people making copies of forum databases.
                      It's not easy to do. EMail is simple, even if the resulting archives are "ok" UX wise, but at least they exist.

This forum has over 640,000 posts. That's, um, a LOT.

Hands, who would like to mirror these posts? Anyone?

Note, that even the RSS feed is just topics and the first post. It doesn't show the threads.
                      Last edited by whartung; October 22, 2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Speaking for myself personally, I don't get a lot out of this or other forums. Frankly there are too many tedious folks under the misapprehension that this (or whatever other) group is their preserve, going on and on at length about very little. I don't include newbies in this; everybody's got to start somewhere. I read maybe one in fifty threads here, and this thread is a reasonable example of one kind of nonsense I'm not interested in.

But my interest in vintage computers isn't decreasing.

Comment

Originally posted by bear View Post
                          Speaking for myself personally, I don't get a lot out of this or other forums. Frankly there are too many tedious folks under the misapprehension that this (or whatever other) group is their preserve, going on and on at length about very little. I don't include newbies in this; everybody's got to start somewhere. I read maybe one in fifty threads here, and this thread is a reasonable example of one kind of nonsense I'm not interested in.

But my interest in vintage computers isn't decreasing.
                          I dont really know what you just said to be honest but hey thanks for shiting on this forum... Good job.

Comment

Let me translate for you: I think bear said the signal to noise ratio is very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Timo W. View Post
                              That's why I hate the trend of using Discord and the like. It's a "quick and dirty" way to talk. The stuff you post disappears quickly, you can hardly build up a database of knowledge, and you can post every shit. But that's what people like to use these days. Nothing can beat a forum when it comes to preserving knowledge.

I will agree to a degree, but on discord. where you can cam(era) your work while other joins in the vocal chat or type live while you are trying to sort a problem out, producing quicker results in the end. Also, many discord vintage group organize "night of gaming" where people choose a platform and game and all play at the same time while chatting/voice channel and among other things as conversation vary a great deal from debates about the game itself to trick to gain on it to anything in between also we compare scores, generating not a "this is a wise man" but a more natural camaraderie between people present which with the pandemic we all have missed from the pub or club or gatherings.

Vintage computers forums are great., but often if you have to wait for 3 days for 1 answer when you can get 10 people in a ful-on conversation with schematics popping out and someone helping you out troubleshoot the problem, discord has a head above the water in a matter of speaking over forums. and that is why they have become more popular especially among the younger hobbyist wanting to dip toes in the water and not have to wait days to get some support/answer to their often easy problems.

As for "keeping documentation and records" that is what a website is for, not a forum, discord keeps the history of all messages in the various "channels/forums" where conversations have been had, and are easily searchable. so there isn't an "instant lost of information", you just have to search for it.

Sorry mates I love forums and I have been on precursors to them during the hay days of bulletin boards systems, but even at the age of 55, I learn to adapt and balance my visits accordingly. I have made great friends on discord vintage channels, and I met "wise men" on forums.
                              TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, 360K & 720K, Gotek FDD, FreHD SDCARD HDD, GURU RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP210
                              Eeprom Prog: Inspiron 660s, I5-3330s, with BK-844USB
                              Gotek Prog: Dell D520, Dual-Core Intel, 8GB, 500GB HDD, 15" LCD
                              Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X