Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Removing Yellowing from Plastics - Part 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
    It's a pet peeve of mine, but I think Americans use far too many acronyms.
    Know your TLAs, eh?

LOL
    Author of the Retr0bright Wiki - http://www.retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lorne View Post
      It has been stored (indoors at 72 F, in a dark cupboard) in its original plastic tub which looks like it seals OK.
      I've picked up the new Oxy and H2O2, so I'll see what happens.
      Another thought that's been running through my mind is that maybe there's something on the plastic parts, that's stopping the process.
      I've never run into that before though.
      My money's on bad H2O2 or bad Oxy.
      It must have been bad ingredients.
      I got the new stuff, and I could see the difference even when I was just mixing the gel.
      It foamed more, and worked like it had before.
      There's nothing like using fresh ingredients for ANY recipe.

And here's another example of what can be done with the process.
      It's a Televideo 925 - sitting on some white bond paper.
      The bottom has obviously been processed, and it was as yellow as the top.

Bottom done..JPG

Comment

@ Lorne

Now you're just showing off.......
        Author of the Retr0bright Wiki - http://www.retr0bright.wikispaces.com

Comment

System 80 Retr0Brighting

Haven't done retr0brighting for some time but the drought has broken.

2010-07-11-s8016k-de-yellowed.jpg

The article pertaining to this latest effort is detailed here.

One interesting thing. At first I had the case under a small UV bulb for 24 hours. Results were quite disappointing. There was a fade in the yellowing but not that much. The next day I re-applied the mixture and put it out in full sunlight. What a difference! In a matter of hours, the case was noticably lighter.

I think this is a reflection of two things. First, the UV output even in winter sunlight (especially very clean-air NZ sunlight) is much stronger than a small bulb above the case. Also, temperature probably had a lot to do with it. Being winter here, in the unheated garage under the UV lamp temperatures, although not freezing, were quite cool. Out in full sunlight, there was warmth also. This would have assisted the reaction.

Tez
          ------------------------------------------------
          My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
          My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
          Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Comment

It would be interesting to compare "hard" & "soft" UV light. UV bulbs for "discos" are quite long wavelength ( = low power photons) it saves blistering the punters, but probably doesn't knock so many bromine atoms off their stalks.
            "Don't it always seem to go
            That you don't know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone" (BANG )

Comment

LOL - Well Nige, just how many of those bromine atoms can we afford to give up?
              Surely not everyone was Kung-Fu fighting

Comment

Originally posted by nige the hippy View Post
                It would be interesting to compare "hard" & "soft" UV light. UV bulbs for "discos" are quite long wavelength ( = low power photons) it saves blistering the punters, but probably doesn't knock so many bromine atoms off their stalks.
                Yes, that would be interesting. Based on my System 80 experience I think I'll use the sun where I can rather than seek a more powerful blub. I've only got a haldful of items left I need to process. Problem is here in NZ with our changeable maritime climate you can't always order up a sunny, windless day over a weekend. It needs to be a weekend so I can lay them out, keep them pasted, alter their position relative to the source (i.e. sun) now and again and stop pets walking on them.

Tez

Comment

They sell (afaik) hard uv tubes for pond sterilizers, got to be used in a light proof enclosure though (a sterilizers function being to kill cells!). I'm not sure about the ballast required, but at first glance it looks like a standard flourescent.

Comment

A lot of negative discussion on several lists lately about retrObrite and the harm it will supposedly cause, growing out of a post on cbm-hackers by William Levak, a "chemist [with] some experience testing resins":

http://www.softwolves.com/arkiv/cbm-.../14/14545.html
                    http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/...ly/289287.html
                    (>30 posts)

Anybody want to respond? Merlin? Lorne? Tez?
                    Last edited by MikeS; July 30, 2010, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Interesting.

It’s always good to have different opinions on these kinds of things, especially from people that are trained in the field.

My thoughts. Well, the poster is right. No aging tests have been done (that I know of) and there is no harm pointing that out. We use it at our own risk and the more informed opinion there is about those risks the better. There could be long-term damage but who knows? Certainly bloom is permanent. If there is though, is it worse than cheese-yellow? Most cases that need de-yellowing already show brittleness…from prolonged exposure to UV light.

RetroBright is a community “project” not a tested commercial product and “use entirely at your own risk” applies. It’s a matter of known and theorized risks vrs benefits. Folk must use it on that basis. I’ve found it great for cream to while cases, where the bloom effect doesn’t seem to show up as the case is a very light color anyway. However, I’m a lot more cautious with coloured cases (grey for example) where it certainly can with overcooking.

Testing the effects of Retro0bright would make a great post-graduate project for a chemistry student. I should mention that to the chemistry staff at my University.

Coincidentally I’m writing this at 7am in the morning on a beautiful sunny NZ winter’s day. It’s Saturday and I’m about to get up and prepare some retr0bright for a System 80, Atari 800XL and a Video Genie case. My final batch!

Tez

Comment

Well, I agree that we use it at our own risk and I'm certainly not going to guarantee that there is no risk, but I think the tone is a little too pessimistic; there is some real science behind this and I think it does Merlin a disservice when folks say, "good to hear from a real chemist who knows what he's talking about," and I'm not sure that the proposed argument that if x amount causes damage (blooming) then 1/2 x will cause 1/2 as much damage is necessarily very sound.

But hey, it's out there for those who think the esthetic improvement is worth the slight risk of a permanent blemish, and those who don't are welcome to keep their cases a nice yellow

As to aging tests, it's been out there for close to a year; anybody's cases crumbling to dust yet?

m

Comment

Looks to me like Merlin is a mere amateur, and therefore his contribution is obviously too flawed to be considered legitimate by the vintage computer elite.

Big Wink!

& regarding blooming, surely if you remove the active ingredients & the energy source, then no further reaction will take place. it certainly looks like those casting aspersions haven't followed the threads & don't really understand the process.

Comment

Yep, I've retr0btighted a lot of cases now and have been pretty happy with the result. The three I did today came up really well.

Tez

Comment

This is kind of funny.

The "chemist”, with “some experience testing resins” mentions that he's read all the information in the Wiki, but doesn't mention that he's actually tried the process.
                              I could give his comments a little more credence if he had done so.

He mentions "white bloom", and even for those of us that have used the process, the "bloom" is tough to describe, so not having tried the process, I don't how he can say what it is, let alone say that it is damage to the plastic. It doesn't happen in all circumstances (rarely actually), so is it only damaging sometimes?
                              I consider it more like patchy or blotchy, and on the pieces that I've processed, I found that it's more like an uneven result. The blotchy areas seem to be more yellowed (or unwhitened) than the other areas, which I think is because they haven't been processed enough. With repeat processing (like 5 times) on yellowed Televideo cases, I've found that the blotches disappear, and the whole piece eventually gets back to the original white.
                              How anyone can comment on "damage" to plastics based on the word "bloom" (which is a poor description only due to lack of a better one) without having physically seen or tried the process is beyond me.

One of my first pieces (the Osborne 1) still looks like it did when the processing was complete, and the plastic isn't falling to bits. If it falls to bits in 20 more years, so be it. Myself, and all the other Osbornes will probably have fallen to bits by then too.

We did all this experimentation for our own use and enjoyment. Someone else's lack of experience and ignorance in the process will not sway my feelings about what we've accomplished, and I don't think it'll sway Merlin's or Tezza's either. There's a load of people out there who have actually done it, who are using it, and are loving the results.

There's no substitute for actual experience when you want to comment on something someone else has done. Too bad this "chemist" didn't have any.
                              Last edited by Lorne; July 31, 2010, 07:30 AM. Reason: damn typo

Comment

Regarding Retr0bright terminology there is "bloom" and there is "streaking". Streaking is what you've described Lorne, where a very yellowed white or cream case de-yellows unevenly leaving yellowish streaks. I've never persisted long enough (or found H2O2 strong enough) to get all of these out but I could well believe it could be eliminated by a lengthy treatment.

Bloom appears on coloured cases (grey C64s or grey Ataris) where after a lengthy treatment by someone trying to get the final vestiages of brown/grey out of the case. It's a kind of whitish spotting. I think there are a few photos on the wiki from memory.

I've only seen bloom once and that was with a deliberately overcooked C64 case I was using to ascertain the difference between xanthum gum and arrowroot as a thickener.

Nevertheless it's important people know about it. Again, it's about risks and benefits.

Now I read the post by our resin chemist again, I agree with Mike. The guy is being over-cautious and pessimistic. Retr0bright is not a new technique now. It's been over a year since most of my cases were treated and the plastic seems fine. Bloom, label damage, key label fade and the discolouration of black/blue areas are well known and but avoidable with care.

In my opinion cases look far better closer to their original colour that an ugly yellow, green or brown. The risk/benefit equation is heavily in favour of a careful de-yellowing.

Merlin has done a great service to vintage computing with this technique. My Colour Genie case processed yesterday looks way better than it did but has some streaking. It will take a lot of NZ sunlight to get that out. The Atari 800Xl looks great and the System 80 is perfect. I'm particularly pleased with the latter as the case was REALLY yellow and it's taken it back to it's original colour with no streaks in evidence at all.

Tez

Comment

Working...
                                X