Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Add activity LED to MFM hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Strollin, thank heavens that whatever mnemonic you use, it's easy to remember what the words stand for. I can't say the same for "On Old Olympus..."
    I'm still working on something memorable to follow "Big Beautiful Redheads" and maybe end in "Very Good/Generous/? Women"...

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied
    Originally posted by strollin View Post
    You all can use whatever mnemonic you choose. I learned that one 40 years ago in High School electronics class and I have been able to remember it since then. I'm too old to try and learn a new one when the old one worked so well for me!
    Of course, use whatever works for you in your mind, but as Sombunall points out if you use that sort of talk with her or other women you just might be perceived to be a crude and inconsiderate boor and be treated accordingly.

Not that this is really a serious example, but manners and consideration for others seem to be in decline these days, especially on some internet forums and user groups; when someone dares to suggest that something is inappropriate or annoying there are almost invariably replies along the lines of, "I think it's OK, and if you don't like it, tough!"

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by MikeS; June 24, 2010, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Strollin, thank heavens that whatever mnemonic you use, it's easy to remember what the words stand for. I can't say the same for "On Old Olympus..."

Leave a comment:

• strollin
    replied
    You all can use whatever mnemonic you choose. I learned that one 40 years ago in High School electronics class and I have been able to remember it since then. I'm too old to try and learn a new one when the old one worked so well for me!

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied
    I suppose the problem that some have is that mnemonics are also a teaching device and you don't want to give the wrong idea when teaching. The flowers one is pretty good, although not as classy as "On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Friendly Viking Grew Vines and Hops"
    Yeah, I've been trying, but it ain't easy to reprogram my brain and replace Bad Boys... with Big Beautiful...; so far Big Beautiful Redheads is working better for me than Roses, unfortunately...

At any rate, you know you've arrived when you can pick out a 47K resistor from a pile and have to pause and think about what colors were on the resistor.
    Yeah, curiously 47 and 10 are the only two values that I recognize immediately, 47 probably from the tube and analogue days and 10 (K) from the TTL world...

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied
    A mnemonic is just a simple memory helper, who cares if it's PC or not. Geesh.
    I usually have a "Yeah, right on!" mental reaction to your posts, and don't have much use for most PC nonsense myself, but I can see how some people, especially women, might be as annoyed/offended by casual use of the word 'rape' as they might by the 'F' word. Use whatever works for ya mentally, but something to keep in mind when using it verbally...

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    I suppose the problem that some have is that mnemonics are also a teaching device and you don't want to give the wrong idea when teaching. The flowers one is pretty good, although not as classy as "On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Friendly Viking Grew Vines and Hops"

At any rate Wikipedia lists the following:

Bad boys rape our young girls behind victory garden walls.
    Bad boys run our young girls behind victory garden walls.
    Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly.
    Big boys race our young girls but Violet generally wins.
    Bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well – get some now.
    Big brown rabbits often yield great big vocal groans when gingerly slapped.
    B. B. ROY of Great Britain has Very Good Wife.
    Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Birmingham Via Great Western.
    Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Bristol Via Great Western.
    Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go do Become a Very Good Wife.
    Bill Brown Realized Only Yesterday Good Boys Value Good Work.

Anyone know of one that rhymes?

At any rate, you know you've arrived when you can pick out a 47K resistor from a pile and have to pause and think about what colors were on the resistor.

Leave a comment:

• strollin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeS View Post
    I kinda like the flowers...
    I wonder how many variations of this there are.

At any rate, the mod I described will work on any MFM 2-cable hard drive.

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied
    Many years ago, Popular Science published a bowdlerized version that ran like this:

"Bad Boys Rush Our Young Girls, But Veronica Goes Wild (for Silver and Gold)" While not having the same cachet of the original (Army SIgnal Corps?) version, it still works.
    I kinda like the flowers...

Leave a comment:

• Chuck(G)
    replied
    Originally posted by sombunall View Post
    That's why the new school is "Big Beautiful Roses Occupy Your Garden But Violets Grow Wild". Franky if I was talking to a fellow female engineer I would use this instead to avoid pissing them off.
    Many years ago, Popular Science published a bowdlerized version that ran like this:

"Bad Boys Rush Our Young Girls, But Veronica Goes Wild (for Silver and Gold)" While not having the same cachet of the original (Army SIgnal Corps?) version, it still works.

Leave a comment:

• MikeS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fredbug View Post
    Strange, I just spent a few hours cleaning up in my shed and ran across a kalok today.
    The one I have here has a led right on the drive.

Bruce
    That's how I remember them; presumably different models...

Leave a comment:

• sombunall
    replied
    Originally posted by linuxlove View Post
    ...Right... let's move away from the discussion of rape?
    That's why the new school is "Big Beautiful Roses Occupy Your Garden But Violets Grow Wild". Franky if I was talking to a fellow female engineer I would use this instead to avoid pissing them off.

Leave a comment:

• Fredbug
    replied
    Strange, I just spent a few hours cleaning up in my shed and ran across a kalok today.
    The one I have here has a led right on the drive.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• linuxlove
    replied
    ...Right... let's move away from the discussion of rape?

In the attachment, here's what the system now looks like with the LED attached. Yay for Dremel tools.
    The hole is small enough that it holds the LED in snugly so no need for glue or anything.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X