• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ebay deadbeat?

curtis

Veteran Member
Has anyone had dealings with a John Crane (ebay id johnx993)? I'm beginning to suspect he's about to renege on my recent SOL 20 auction.

Been sending him emails every day just to get a response and to date, nada!

Looking over some of the past auctions he's won, everybody seems to have wonderful praise for him, so this seems uncharacteristic of him.

Curtis

Some folks can be a little slow when they win - especially with bigger dollar items.

Did you put anything in the auction about how long you were willing to wait for payment, etc?

It's only been a few days. I'd give him a bit more time, myself. ;)

holy smokes!

probably for a little bit more, (unless he slept in his car) he could drive to your house and pick up the boxes, and at least get a road trip included with the cost.

good luck terry and curtis!

chris

no kidding

no kidding

yeah, Montreal to Michigan?

Why doesn't he just come over and pick the stuff up.

but then again, I love road trips ;)

I dunno, I looked it up on YahooMaps, and it's a thousand-mile trip. I always thought Montreal was closer than that. BTW, I called FedEx for a quote, and thier best price was $670.00 for the same shipment. $250.00 seems cheap by comparison.

--T

Re: ebay Item number: 8769017101

Re: ebay Item number: 8769017101

Curtis-
Why not contact 'randomz3', the #2 bidder, and ask if he wants it as a "second chance" offer? Ebay rules say you should wait 7 days, though.

Have you considered changing your seller's policy of "I won't give you feedback until you give me feedback"? Nothing personal, but it's just a tad off-putting, to say the least. It never pays to alienate one's customers, particularly before you've sealed the deal. Besides, you have no reason to withhold feedback once he's fulfilled his end of the contract and sent you the payment.

Nice looking system, by the way. I have 2 of those 9" monitors. One has a Sanyo label, the other has an Icom label. They must have made a million of those things.
=============================================

curtis said:
Has anyone had dealings with a John Crane (ebay id johnx993)? I'm beginning to suspect he's about to renege on my recent SOL 20 auction.

Been sending him emails every day just to get a response and to date, nada!

Looking over some of the past auctions he's won, everybody seems to have wonderful praise for him, so this seems uncharacteristic of him.

Curtis

Buyer finally got hold of me. Turns out he'd been called out of town for personal business. Everything is looking better at this time.

As for why I put in the "when I get mine, you'll get yours" I was selling stuff, posting positive feedback to the buyer and they'd never reciprocate. Several people I've dealt with as a buyer have started doing the same thing for the exact same reason.

I hate being a jerk about this stuff, but ebay is starting to become almost more trouble than it's worth.

Now if the VCF Marketplace could get my account sorted out...

I found out the hard way that even if you follow the proper 'deadbeat bidder' procedure, the deadbeat is still allowed to leave you feedback. I got my only negative feedback that way, in retaliation for reporting the non-paying bidder. It's a no-win situation either way (I get the impression that some fools just get thier kicks that way).

--T

Terry Yager said:
$250.00US (six boxes @ 45 lbs each, going to Montreal, Canada).
For comparison and a bit of fun, I checked how much a 20 kg package from Sweden to .. Germany (approximately far away) would cost: 706 SEK each, or ~$530US for six of those. That is with the postal service, pick up - no home delivery. One can ship as DPD too, but that only works inbetween companies I believe. Other shipping companies don't give prices without asking for a quote, so I didn't bother checking those.

I left eBay when eBay them selves randomly accusesd me of trying to impersonate another member. (?) So I told them what I thought about them. I still get e-mails to this day.....

-V

Are you sure those are legitimate eBay emails, or fraud? Last year I got a flood of eBay frauds, but since I've never signed up for that service, it doesn't matter much. Of course I get PayPal frauds too, but only one legitimate PP message yet.

Curtis, here's the way I see it:

When I win an ebay auction, I'm sending my money off to a person who I don't know, and trusting that he'll be an honest seller who will send me the advertised item in the advertised condition, and he'll acknowlege that I fulfilled my financial obligation by giving me feedback- I'm taking all the risks. I find it insulting to be told that even though I have taken the risks and trusted the seller, he won't trust me to give him a lousy one-line feedback. Again, nothing personal Curtis, but unless you have something listed that I just can't live without, I will not bid on your auctions- I'll just go on to the next guy's- there are very few truly unique items on ebay. You can say that you don't care about my bid, but you'll never know how many other potential bidders you've lost, or how high their bids might have gone if you hadn't taken your attitude. I'll say this too- I'll never give feedback to a seller who doesn't give it to me first

On the other hand, when I sell something, the only risk I'm taking is whether the buyer will pay up. If he doesn't, I still have my item, ebay will refund my listing fees, and I will have the option of posting negative feedback. I will lose nothing but a little time. Therefore, once I receive full payment, the buyer has completely fulfilled his end of the deal and there is no reason for me to withhold positive feedback. If the buyer doesn't reciprocate, well, that's just too bad.

I have found that it's better to assume that my potential customers are honest and upright, rather than tell them that I don't trust them.

steve

curtis said:
As for why I put in the "when I get mine, you'll get yours" I was selling stuff, posting positive feedback to the buyer and they'd never reciprocate. Several people I've dealt with as a buyer have started doing the same thing for the exact same reason....

Regarding shipping costs, I just found one seller who has listed 25+ PCI/AGP graphics cards one by one, mostly older models very few would want. I suppose they're all unboxed, so only sent in a ESD envelope etc.

The thing is that the seller quotes shipping costs depending on how powerful the graphics card is. A 1 MB card costs less to ship than a 4 MB card, and for a 8/16 MB card, he asks rather ridiculous shipping costs. All the auctions have a starting bid of 1 SEK ($0.15) and it is not likely that a bid war will increase the bids above that level. Apparently the seller wants a bit more provision, and uses differentiated, non-negotiable shipping costs for items of identical size and weight instead of setting starting bids at accepted levels...

carlsson wrote:

> Are you sure those are legitimate eBay emails, or
> fraud? Last year I got a flood of eBay frauds, but
> since I've never signed up for that service, it
> doesn't matter much. Of course I get PayPal frauds
> too, but only one legitimate PP message yet.

Yes, I must admit I've had a number of eBay e-mails talking
about something which I've never signed up for. Question is -
how do they get onto my e-mail? Not that it really matters
since I don't deal in eBay.

CP/M User.

Various bots have vacuumed the Internet - newsgroups, web sites and much more - for e-mail addresses for years, and they still do. Then some fraudmaker (?) comes across or buys a list of addresses, hopefully most of them still valid, and sends out e-mails in the name of e.g. eBay. The actual company that bears the name would never buy a list of e-mail addresses and mass market themselves randomly, I'm quite sure. At least not a company so big already.

Back