Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

OMG a webserver runnning on a 8088!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG a webserver runnning on a 8088!

This guy has more time on his hands than I do.

http://8088.eznos.org

He's running a webserver off of free DOS and EZ-NOS webserver on a 8088 machine!

-Vlad

P.S.
    w00t 500th post
    sigpic

A web server is pretty easy .. I've run one on a PCjr. It's just bytes in and out over sockets.

A web browser is a much harder trick.

Comment

Yeah, but a PCjr isin't running on an 8088 is it? C'mon man! Its a server on an 8088!! I want to scream at my server and its a 1.8 GHz. They guy has a web server running on a 8-bit CPU!

-V
      sigpic

Comment

vlad wrote:

> Yeah, but a PCjr isin't running on an 8088 is it?
        > C'mon man! Its a server on an 8088!! I want to scream
        > at my server and its a 1.8 GHz. They guy has a web
        > server running on a 8-bit CPU!

A PCJnr is either an 8086 or 8088 (can't remember which) based machine & aren't 8086 based machines less powerful.

If memory serves me correctly, someone knocked up one of these using an 8bit machine in CP/M!

CP/M User.
        Generic and Amstrad CPC based Programs written in Turbo Pascal 3

Comment

I had mistaken the PCjr for something else that had a 80286. I remember now.
          But still, isin't that pretty good?
          sigpic

Comment

vlad wrote:

> I had mistaken the PCjr for something else that had a
            > 80286. I remember now.

> But still, isin't that pretty good?

Yeah, I reckon that's pretty good considerning you'd need the
            right programs for it to work.

The internet is such a huge place & people almost take a fast
            computer is required for this to be done. Yet here we are
            talking about an 8088 which can do the same thing - with what?
            640K of memory!

CP/M User.

Comment

I'm quite sure that 8088 based web server does not have any server scripting, advanced logging or other features you may expect from a full-blown web server (like your 1.8 GHz machine is supposed to have).

I know someone who programmed a web server in PostScript, and thus loaded it onto a HP LaserJet 4 (or similar) printer. Yes, it has a network interface and yes it worked, but maybe not very fast.
              Anders Carlsson

Comment

A PCjr is definitely 8088 based, and it's quite a limited machine compared to a PC or an XT even. There are no standard expansion slots. You can not add memory past 128K without using a device driver. Adding a second diskette drive requires a 3rd party controller or a modification to the existing controller. Adding a hard disk is nearly impossible. And then getting networking on the same machine is yet another problem ..

I think that by most rational definitions the 8088 and 8086 are 16 bit machines. The 8086 has a 16 bit path to memory, which makes it quite a bit faster than the 8088 which only has an 8 bit path to memory. But as far as math goes, both work on 16 bit quantities.

No, none of these older machines are going to have the advanced features. They do logging and some access control, and even some CGI like things, but you aren't going to do virtual hosting on one.

What's more amazing is when somebody stuffs a web server onto a true 8-bitter, like a C64. There have been a few of those in the past. Although technically it is a web server, it is very very limited ... almost to the point of stretching the truth. But still, stuffing any implemention TCP/IP and an HTTP server (with some data) into a C64 is a neat trick. An 8088 based machine has potentially 10x the memory to work with.

Comment

this guy (a member of the vic20 denial forum) has a pretty nifty network thing for the vic:

http://www.themotionstore.com/leeeda...ork/index.html

chris
                  The vic rocks!

Comment

I believe Adam Dunkels has considered a 8-bit adapted scripting language for the Contiki web server. I'm not sure if it does anything yet, though.
                    Anders Carlsson

Comment

carlsson wrote:

> I know someone who programmed a web server in
                      > PostScript, and thus loaded it onto a HP LaserJet 4
                      > (or similar) printer. Yes, it has a network interface
                      > and yes it worked, but maybe not very fast.

Postscript I believe has it's connections with Forth. I'd
                      reckon if it was possible to write a proper web server in
                      Forth, then just about anything's possible! Perhaps not?!?

CP/M User.

Comment

That 8088 web server is awesome.
                        His 386 server is awesome as well, cudos to him.
                        My Collection.

IBM 5150, TI-PPC, Apple IIe, Compaq Portable I Plus, Compaq Portable II, Compaq Portable III, Osborne Executive, IBM Model 25, Tandy 1400LT, Powerbook 140, IBM 5140, KayPro IV, Commodore VIC-20, Zenith Z-Station GT, DGI 86BN3, Commodore CBM 8032, Commodore SX-64, Zenith Super Sport 184, Macintosh 5300\100LC, Commodore 64, Wang Terminal.
                        My Computer Museum

Comment

Working...
                        X