• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Retro Spotter Inside A Thrift Store

kiyotewolf

Experienced Member
I'm not going to reveal which company I work for, but we accept computers, and have to recycle all of them, no exceptions.

Things I've seen.

NeXT computer, Color Workstation, Sound Box attachment, NeXT lazer printer. [unknown if worked or not]
Amiga computer monitor with 9 - pin input, and dual inputs, for either Commodore 64 chroma / luma inputs. [worked]
Apple //GS, computer & mouse [dead]
IBM 5150 case [empty.. totally gutted] with an internal speaker, to headphone jack mod. I was tickled and impressed by that.
Tandy 1400HD laptop [worked, turned on, but screen was dead.. had an external monitor port, but no way to test] - was old white & blue LCD.
IBM PS/1 low profile box. [unknown if worked]

PDP12 computer manual - Actually was able to buy this, after it made it to the floor. I'm going to get a page style scanner, and make a PDF of it eventually. [I think it's a PDP12 book, I have it here, I'll update this later if I'm a bit off.]

Lots of random 5 & 1/4 inch floppys. Saw one that was an old VGA driver disk.

MicroSoft Game Maker Studio - old game making kit, with QBasic / [quickbasic?] in the box. With QBTetris. [was complete, with 5 & 1/4" disks. for a CGA platform, or HGC platform]

Not a computer product, but, 8-track cartridges, and the occasional 8-track player.

~Paul

I'll either post more to this thread, or modify this, if I think of anything else. Drawing blanks for now.

Last edited:
My goodness.....Can't stand....the thought......of all that.....being recycled! I couldn't work at a place like that, knowing that I couldn't take home things like a //GS and a NeXT. Do other people there know the worth of some of the computers you listed?

Anyone who has picked up stuff at a recycling center would have seen tons of interesting hardware being scrapped at any time, you just can't save them all.

However, usually if you crawl up ladder in some local places like i've said before. You can usually get few things changed, or i "accidently" left it beside the bin lol.

There used to be a computer recycler near my house that would "turn their back" on someone who would "volunteer" at the shredder. Basically, if they expected 10# of shredded metal and got that much, they looked the other way. Their only thing was, no hard drives.

They are still around, but now they sell everything on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/actionpc.com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686 I still get the occasional item from them.

When I lived in Everett there was a local shop who collected stuff for PC Recycle, for the longest time they would let me peruse there and got some good finds - a Mac SE, a NEC MultiSync 9 pin mono/RGB/VGA monitor, some small parts for my machines.

One day I came back and they stopped doing that, their reasoning was that people were actually taking the recycled stuff and putting it on E-bay, which I had never done. Makes me wonder how much REALLY good stuff I missed out on since I heard they got a Commodore 64 in once, and an IBM PC 5150 awhile after that.

Back