Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Census question: Types of computers:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Census question: Types of computers:

So I got some stuff about filling out some US Census thing, and one of the questions is:

"At this house, apartment, or mobile home- do you or any member of this household own or use any of the following computers?

* Exclude GPS devices, digital music players, and devices with only limited computing capabilities, for example: household appliances

A. Desktop, laptop, netbook, or notebook computer Y[ ] N[ ]

B: Handheld computer, smart mobile phone, or other handheld wireless computer Y[ ] N[ ]

C: Some other type of computer Y[ ] N[ ]
    Specify ->
    [__________________]"

Now how many wiseguys here would fill in that last question with something like MAINFRAME or MINICOMPUTER?

(They sure ask a lot of questions that don't seem like anybody's business.)

To test these folks I'm sending in the paper version of the form.

I hope that I will someday be able to answer "VAX 11/780".

Comment

Maybe we can make them the next computer registry. I say everyone go ahead and list all the systems and consoles you have. j/k
      Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

For specify, make sure to add every type of machine you have in your collection one at a time with hardware details..

Those ****ers want information they dont need, make em earn it and have to read it all....
        "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

Comment

'None of your f-ing business' would be my most likely response.
          Or...
          'Find out on vintage-computer.com'...

Comment

I'd like to point out the hypocrisy of not wanting the government knowing things and the countless "OMG I GOT THIS NEW HARDWARE" threads.
            It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

The point was they left this single open field on the form and probably didn't expect the possibility that some people might have more "other" kinds of computers than what they expected. The extended instructions suggest they might be looking for things like new convertible tablet/desktop touch screen garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybob View Post
                I'd like to point out the hypocrisy of not wanting the government knowing things and the countless "OMG I GOT THIS NEW HARDWARE" threads.
                Hypocrisy? Dont think so... Irony, perhaps...

Wait,
                R U telling me this site is run by teh gubmint?

Oh NOES!!! That means they ALREADY know! (and probably do!)

Comment

I guess contradiction would have been a better word.

*shrug*
                  It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                    The point was they left this single open field on the form and probably didn't expect the possibility that some people might have more "other" kinds of computers than what they expected. The extended instructions suggest they might be looking for things like new convertible tablet/desktop touch screen garbage.
                    There are indeed funny possibilities and they probably have no idea about what our types could/might put in there.

It is also a very legitimate question in the general sense, and it would be very useful information to many people. Bear in mind that the Census is done as a benefit to everybody, not just the present government, who are interested in planning for the future or trying to make a fit with the present.

Of course, these things are also used to twist into excuses for not doing something, or trying to look good. For example, I've noticed that quite a few people have computers, but have little or no computer or internet literacy. In fact I would say that very few people are participants in the WORLD wide web. A government and incumbent politicians, would likely say something more like "everybody has a computer these days and our society is very advanced". One of my pet peeves in Canada is the census question "do you have access to broadband?" the answer to which seriously skews the reality. The same with literacy in Canada, where the numbers show that 80% can read, but elsewhere we find out that only 20% do so with much comprehension. So anyway, a ballpark figure on how many people have computers is good to know, but can also be used to cover up the reality that few do, or even can, get much use out of them.
                    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Comment

In all honesty I do wonder what the purpose of the question is. General knowledge or how many computers in the average household type query? I know it's "required" by law to fill them out but still, reminds me too much of a charity phone call asking how much money the household makes a year.
                      Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Comment

The census was in 2010. What kind of census form gets filled out at the end of 2013? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                        X