• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Census question: Types of computers:

SomeGuy

Veteran Member
So I got some stuff about filling out some US Census thing, and one of the questions is:

"At this house, apartment, or mobile home- do you or any member of this household own or use any of the following computers?

* Exclude GPS devices, digital music players, and devices with only limited computing capabilities, for example: household appliances

A. Desktop, laptop, netbook, or notebook computer Y[ ] N[ ]

B: Handheld computer, smart mobile phone, or other handheld wireless computer Y[ ] N[ ]

C: Some other type of computer Y[ ] N[ ]
Specify ->
[__________________]"

Now how many wiseguys here would fill in that last question with something like MAINFRAME or MINICOMPUTER? :)

(They sure ask a lot of questions that don't seem like anybody's business.)

To test these folks I'm sending in the paper version of the form. :p

Maybe we can make them the next computer registry. I say everyone go ahead and list all the systems and consoles you have. j/k

For specify, make sure to add every type of machine you have in your collection one at a time with hardware details..

Those ****ers want information they dont need, make em earn it and have to read it all....

'None of your f-ing business' would be my most likely response.
Or...
'Find out on vintage-computer.com'...

:p

I'd like to point out the hypocrisy of not wanting the government knowing things and the countless "OMG I GOT THIS NEW HARDWARE" threads.

The point was they left this single open field on the form and probably didn't expect the possibility that some people might have more "other" kinds of computers than what they expected. The extended instructions suggest they might be looking for things like new convertible tablet/desktop touch screen garbage.

I'd like to point out the hypocrisy of not wanting the government knowing things and the countless "OMG I GOT THIS NEW HARDWARE" threads.

Hypocrisy? Dont think so... Irony, perhaps...

Wait,
R U telling me this site is run by teh gubmint? :eek:

Oh NOES!!! :p That means they ALREADY know! (and probably do!) :rolleyes:

The point was they left this single open field on the form and probably didn't expect the possibility that some people might have more "other" kinds of computers than what they expected. The extended instructions suggest they might be looking for things like new convertible tablet/desktop touch screen garbage.

There are indeed funny possibilities and they probably have no idea about what our types could/might put in there. :)

It is also a very legitimate question in the general sense, and it would be very useful information to many people. Bear in mind that the Census is done as a benefit to everybody, not just the present government, who are interested in planning for the future or trying to make a fit with the present.

Of course, these things are also used to twist into excuses for not doing something, or trying to look good. For example, I've noticed that quite a few people have computers, but have little or no computer or internet literacy. In fact I would say that very few people are participants in the WORLD wide web. A government and incumbent politicians, would likely say something more like "everybody has a computer these days and our society is very advanced". One of my pet peeves in Canada is the census question "do you have access to broadband?" the answer to which seriously skews the reality. The same with literacy in Canada, where the numbers show that 80% can read, but elsewhere we find out that only 20% do so with much comprehension. So anyway, a ballpark figure on how many people have computers is good to know, but can also be used to cover up the reality that few do, or even can, get much use out of them.

In all honesty I do wonder what the purpose of the question is. General knowledge or how many computers in the average household type query? I know it's "required" by law to fill them out but still, reminds me too much of a charity phone call asking how much money the household makes a year.

The census was in 2010. What kind of census form gets filled out at the end of 2013? Just curious.

Back